1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

447 Mile Weekend Ride

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Ben Reeve, 2 Jan 2017.

1. I was going to say something like this. When I plan my rides (day rides generally) I tend to keep to quieter lanes and so forth but I know the more wiggly yellow roads I add to my route, the slower I will be. It's just the nature of the beast. And (broadly speaking) most non-dual carriageway A roads are fine to ride on and have better sight lines, more space and more chance to get into a rhythm (not to mention better surfaces) so enable quicker and easier progress.

Ajax Bay likes this.
  2. Ben Reeve

Ben Reeve Well-Known Member

How could I not take this in the spirit it's meant. This is outstanding, I have sent this on to our ride organising and we are going to review together. Thank you so much!

3. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Über Member

@Ben Reeve - again off topic.
    Drawing also on @dim analysis, I would dice this a different way by not riding over the first night (though appreciate that that may be part of the challenge). You will all be tired and stiff after many hours on the road on the Friday of the BH w/e (driving SW to Cornwall M4/M5/A30 . . . . .). I can see (assume) you have somewhere to kip at/near Warminster (~333km by one of various routes). So why not aim to arrive there for dinner and 'bedtime' Saturday (sunset is 2111) by starting from Land's End at 0530 Saturday (sunrise is 0523). Start again from Warminster at 0500 (sunrise is 0502). Stop somewhere, again for for dinner and 'bed' and finish it off on the Monday morning (sunset/sunrise in Norwich is 2104/0440). Many 400+ audaxes start at 0600 and anticipate people who want to, making a stop between 335 and 385km, having as much kip as time allows, restarting at dawn and finishing it off on Day 2. This works and maximises the use of daylight. It may mean more accommodation cost, depending on your style and contacts.

4. Ben Reeve

Ben Reeve Well-Known Member

Ajax, I don't know what to say, you have been incredible with some of your ideas. We are re sculpting our route on the back of your incredible input.

This is the beauty of CycleChat right here. Thank you so much

Dogtrousers and I like Skol like this.
  5. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Über Member

Warminster to Welwyn GC: 196km + 1481m: Warminster, Westbury, east to the north of Salisbury Plain, Pewsey, Hungerford, Newbury, Goring, Henley, Marlow, Beaconsfield, Chalfont St G, Hemel Hempstead, St Alban's, Welwyn GC. I have ridden the first half of this route (during Exeter to Oxford). With an early start Sunday (eg 5am) you could make home at tea time!

Then there's the same again: 196km + 1145m: Welwyn GC to Lowestoft: Welwyn GC, Ware, Bishop's Stortford, Haverhill (SW of), Long Melford (about half way, 5km N of Sudbury), Needham Market, A1120 till Badingham, Halesworth, Brampton, Lowestoft. Wrench yourselves away from 'home' and split that between Sunday evening and Monday morning.