447 Mile Weekend Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Doing 'distance' using "quieter country roads" is a challenge, and at night is a significant challenge, both road width/surface/bendiness and navigation (and one you don't need), and not really safer either, at night.
I was going to say something like this. When I plan my rides (day rides generally) I tend to keep to quieter lanes and so forth but I know the more wiggly yellow roads I add to my route, the slower I will be. It's just the nature of the beast. And (broadly speaking) most non-dual carriageway A roads are fine to ride on and have better sight lines, more space and more chance to get into a rhythm (not to mention better surfaces) so enable quicker and easier progress.

OP
OP
Ben Reeve

Ben Reeve

Ben - I hope you take this comment in the constructive spirit it's meant, and a bit OT. I have ridden nearly of the roads you describe, normally as part of 200+km rides, one of them at the same tim(ish) as you plan (leaving Penzance at 1845 and doing 125km through to midnight). I can't tell from your map which "quieter country roads" but at that time of night the roads are pretty quiet, even the main roads (not suggesting A30). Doing 'distance' using "quieter country roads" is a challenge, and at night is a significant challenge, both road width/surface/bendiness and navigation (and one you don't need), and not really safer either, at night.

I offer you an alternative A 'Part 1' route (Land's End to Warminster) going north of Bodmin Moor (your route is seriously hilly around Minions) through Launceston and Okehampton. Also be aware that the hills NE of Crediton (to Bickleigh/Tiverton) are normally worth going round (to the SE). This route has nearly 900m (3000ft) less climbing and the same distance. I can get another 1000ft off by going ENE from Wadebridge through Holsworthy, and not dropping down/across to Okehampton (acknowledge chez "Ian's brother"), on this alternative B 'Part 1' route (Land's End to Warminster) variation. I have ridden all these roads (2015/2016).

If you want, send me a link to your routes and I'll give you detailed comments (and places which might be open during the first 200km ie Saturday dawn).

How could I not take this in the spirit it's meant. This is outstanding, I have sent this on to our ride organising and we are going to review together. Thank you so much!

Ajax Bay

Guru
I wouldn't go through the night on the first night. Losing a nights sleep with over 300 miles still to ride doesn't sound attractive. It I were doing it over a similar time schedule, I'd try to sleep at night and maybe split into Friday night, all day Saturday and then all day Sunday. Maybe 60 miles Friday night, 200 miles on Saturday and 180 on Sunday.
@Ben Reeve - again off topic.
Drawing also on @dim analysis, I would dice this a different way by not riding over the first night (though appreciate that that may be part of the challenge). You will all be tired and stiff after many hours on the road on the Friday of the BH w/e (driving SW to Cornwall M4/M5/A30 . . . . .). I can see (assume) you have somewhere to kip at/near Warminster (~333km by one of various routes). So why not aim to arrive there for dinner and 'bedtime' Saturday (sunset is 2111) by starting from Land's End at 0530 Saturday (sunrise is 0523). Start again from Warminster at 0500 (sunrise is 0502). Stop somewhere, again for for dinner and 'bed' and finish it off on the Monday morning (sunset/sunrise in Norwich is 2104/0440). Many 400+ audaxes start at 0600 and anticipate people who want to, making a stop between 335 and 385km, having as much kip as time allows, restarting at dawn and finishing it off on Day 2. This works and maximises the use of daylight. It may mean more accommodation cost, depending on your style and contacts.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Warminster to Welwyn GC: 196km + 1481m: Warminster, Westbury, east to the north of Salisbury Plain, Pewsey, Hungerford, Newbury, Goring, Henley, Marlow, Beaconsfield, Chalfont St G, Hemel Hempstead, St Alban's, Welwyn GC. I have ridden the first half of this route (during Exeter to Oxford). With an early start Sunday (eg 5am) you could make home at tea time!

Then there's the same again: 196km + 1145m: Welwyn GC to Lowestoft: Welwyn GC, Ware, Bishop's Stortford, Haverhill (SW of), Long Melford (about half way, 5km N of Sudbury), Needham Market, A1120 till Badingham, Halesworth, Brampton, Lowestoft. Wrench yourselves away from 'home' and split that between Sunday evening and Monday morning.

Top Bottom