47 year old Gosport cyclist down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhunkPilot

Renegade of Phunk!
'trouble is, the academically qualified, sheltered staff who make the decision to put the build-outs there simply don't understand the mentality of those who will speed down a residential street for fun.

I think the local lads see it as some sort of driving challenge!

delport

Another dangerous road for cyclists in Gosport [heading to Fareham] is newgate lane, it's busy the entire day, and if trucks are using that road there is only centimetres of space for a cyclist.

The road is far too narrow for the huge amount of traffic moving up and down it all day.And at times sections of it can be flooded after heavy rain.

If a truck didn't squash you then their wing mirror could knock you out from behind.
I tend to cycle on the path in this area, as i view it as too dangerous to be on the road through certain parts.

Overall in Gosport there is far too much traffic, and too few roads out.The majority of drivers use one single road out the way to Fareham.

Another dangerous road for cyclists in Gosport [heading to Fareham] is newgate lane, it's busy the entire day, and if trucks are using that road there is only centimetres of space for a cyclist.

The road is far too narrow for the huge amount of traffic moving up and down it all day.And at times sections of it can be flooded after heavy rain.

If a truck didn't squash you then their wing mirror could knock you out from behind.
I tend to cycle on the path in this area, as i view it as too dangerous to be on the road through certain parts.

Overall in Gosport there is far too much traffic, and too few roads out.The majority of drivers use one single road out the way to Fareham.

Slightly OT, but this is the tragic waste of the Bus Rapid Transit Scheme.

We have an excellent off road facility in Gosport, and it is lined up for a Bus Route!

There was even a TRO in place banning bikes from the whole route!

Only after a lot of campaigning was the concession given for bikes to use it. The opportunity for an off road route from Gosport to Fareham is however a massive lost opportunity!

Back on topic, you can avoid Newgate by cutting from Tukes to Newgate Lane beside the Asda Store, and then an off road route through farm tracks to Peak Lane and then into Fareham through the Gillies.

Slightly longer, but far more pleasant

PhunkPilot

Renegade of Phunk!
I know Newgate Lane well. It was my paper round as a lad! Not sure how I survived it for three years! It is pretty narrow for that volume of traffic. I use the route cunobelin mentioned hence using the road featured in the op.

I've seen in the local paper that the cyclist suffered quite serious head injuries and although the air ambulance attended they took him by road for some reason. There was no further info on his current condition. I hope he recovers.:sad:

Jonathing

Über Member
I have a client who lives just by HMS Collingwood and have to climb the flyover several times a day. On the rare occation I go via the Gosport ferry I dread the bottom part of Newgate Lane.

The bottom part of Newgate Lane is easily avoidable if you are heading for the Ferry......

The Cycle track between Collingwood's playing Fields and the Focus Store takes you on to Tukes, then Bookers Lane, Wych Lane, Rowner Lane, Rowner Road and the Cycle Track into Spring Garden Lane means that the majority is off road on a good quality track

There is also a cut through from Woodcote Lane to Bookers Lane

delport

Thanks to the posters above for the information, i've only been in Gosport 4 years, and have got a bit lost going down that cycle path next to collingwood.I'll try using it again, and try and make more sense of where it goes to.

It takes a bit of time to learn all the short cuts and cycle paths in Hampshire.Infact, i still haven't worked out this supposed cycle path from gosport over to southampton, which is meant to follow a coastal route.

Thanks to the posters above for the information, i've only been in Gosport 4 years, and have got a bit lost going down that cycle path next to collingwood.I'll try using it again, and try and make more sense of where it goes to.

It takes a bit of time to learn all the short cuts and cycle paths in Hampshire.Infact, i still haven't worked out this supposed cycle path from gosport over to southampton, which is meant to follow a coastal route.

If you go by the car sales area and follow the road around Collingwood - right curve, left curve, then round to the right by the sub station. Follow his round to a left turn and then round by the fishing lakes through the farm.

As you get through the farm, it curves right, then left across the fields with a ditch either side Follow this to theend where there is a small (poor) path to the left. Turn right here, and follow it to the left and you will be on Peak lane.

It is called "Tanner's Lane" on Google maps

PhunkPilot

Renegade of Phunk!
I used to use 'Tanners Lane' to visit my first girlfriend. It was sometime ago! Happy days......

Here's the route that I use to go from Fareham town centre to Gosport and then Portsmouth, it avoids most of a major roads and takes in the old railway.

http://www.gmap-pedo....com/?r=4272726

The section of cycle track to the North of Military Road is shortly to be closed and become the BRT, NO more pedestrian access, and limited cycle access when built.

There is no information available about the building process, but I suspect it will be closed totally for the duration

As I have said before, the BRT is basically a massive missed opportunity when it comes to cyclists

PhunkPilot

Renegade of Phunk!
I use that route into Gosport to go pick up my son. We ride back that way together. The BRT is going to mess with that. I like to avoid riding with him on the road at the moment. He is 13 and has Autism he had an off a few months ago whilst we were out together unfortunately the handle bars pierced his leg and required stitching but to his credit he was back out on his bike with me the following week. He is a constant source of inspiration to me.:thumbsup:

l'll get him on a road riding course once the eweather brightens up then hopefully skirting the BRt won't be a huge issue. TBH i think I worry with him on the road more than he does.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
The section of cycle track to the North of Military Road is shortly to be closed and become the BRT, NO more pedestrian access, and limited cycle access when built.

There is no information available about the building process, but I suspect it will be closed totally for the duration

As I have said before, the BRT is basically a massive missed opportunity when it comes to cyclists

Once again, the council sidelines the cyclist! If I was more cynical, I might wonder if it's a "little wheeze" cooked up by the bus company in cahoots with the council that discourages people from cycling so that they feel more compelled to use the bus, which they have to pay for, whereas cycling is free ... hmmmm ...

Jonathing

Über Member
feel more compelled to use the bus, which they have to pay for, whereas cycling is free

I always wonder if this is a factor when councils are planning facilities and doodling road layouts.
Also I assume this is why taxi drivers are such c*cks to cyclists; every cyclist is a missed fare in their eyes.

Top Bottom