4th day with camera... bad overtake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
2008 is, like, three years ago... Do you not think it's time to move on? :rolleyes:

(only kidding btw) Yes it looked pretty stupid. I see similar fairly often on my commute to work - not seen any collisions yet though so probably not as bad as it looks.

thats the only problem with the 7day shop cameras. ( I have 2 ) setting the date is nigh on impossible using the txt file . the cameras are worth the money just for the 8 Gb card :smile:

I too have mine mounted on the handlebars as on the head it was a little to wobbly.

C

chillyuk

The OP speaks of a blind bend. It might be blind from his view from the gutter but the van driver is obviously veiwing the road from much further out thus giving him a better view of the bend. From my own experience of handlebar mounted cameras by the time they pick up an overtaking vehicle the vehicle is well past even though on camera they look closer when they pull in. Personally I see no problem with this overtake having seen and experienced far worse.

whitebait

thats the only problem with the 7day shop cameras. ( I have 2 ) setting the date is nigh on impossible using the txt file . the cameras are worth the money just for the 8 Gb card :smile:

I too have mine mounted on the handlebars as on the head it was a little to wobbly.

It's very easy to set the time/date on these cameras! Copy the tag.txt file from the supplied CD onto the sd card, change the time and date to match the current one (keeping the format the same, believe there needs to be a space at the end of the last two lines) then unplug the camera, turn it off, turn it back on and the time and date are set.

It's very easy to set the time/date on these cameras! Copy the tag.txt file from the supplied CD onto the sd card, change the time and date to match the current one (keeping the format the same, believe there needs to be a space at the end of the last two lines) then unplug the camera, turn it off, turn it back on and the time and date are set.

I should have RTFM...

Mine isn't working since I formatted the card last night though. FML.

Matthames

Über Member
Not the best overtake I have seen and not the worst either. From the drivers position, he would have been able to see around the corner much better than you would have. The driver could have timed that overtake and waited till he had got around corner and there was no other oncoming traffic. It would have been an overtake that would probably have spooked me and made gestures to the driver that perhaps it was a bit too close for comfort.

When he overtook you, he had already passed the point where the solid line on your side becomes broken. His overtake, although ill advised was perfectly legal in that respect.

pshore

To me, this video shows a classic case of: If you leave enough room for a car between you and the white line they will squeeze through.

In the drivers subconscious mind, crossing the centre white line puts them in danger because they have to face oncoming traffic. They will prefer to squeeze through, sometimes even on a straight road with no oncoming traffic. The white line is a mental barrier.

My personal approach is to ride the left wheel track marked on the road which typically forces the driver to consider crossing the white line to get past. Now they have to cross the white line, passing you is going to be a considered overtake. This is a variation on the CycleCraft Secondary but not full Primary. Also, if the lane is wide enough for bike+space+car then keep well left otherwise you will get abuse from angry motorists you are holding up.

subaqua

What’s the point

you think i haven't tried that ! the theory and practice are somewhat different. its easy to say the time at the start of my ride as a benchmark :thumbsup:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Not the best overtake - certainly could have given you more room.

What software do you use for editing?

Adasta

I don't think the company will care much either.

The driver has not broken any laws.

I think that there are a few companies out there who are concerned about their standard of driving.

It's worth an email, I reckon.

OP
OP
jig-sore

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
video edit is done on Windows movie maker. (standard on my PC but dont seem to be on my daughters laptop, or so she says)

i didn't get a CD or instructions with the cam and haven't bothered to look into setting the time yet, i'll give it a go.

personally i wasn't happy with the overtake, the main reason being that people coming the other way tend to cut the corner. if this did happen i wonder where the van would have gone ??? into me maybe ???

OK, its not a police matter by a long way but i think its worth putting out there. no comment from the company so far.

good comments, thank you all :becool:

whitebait

you think i haven't tried that ! the theory and practice are somewhat different. its easy to say the time at the start of my ride as a benchmark :thumbsup:

Ah. Well in that case I'm terribly sorry but I can't help you...
whistling.gif

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
from what I can see in the video, it doesn't look too bad. He overtook you at much greater speed than you were doing and it was a quick, swift overtake.
The video doesn't show if he crossed the double white before he started the overtaking.
As you were doing over 10mph, he shouldn't cross the double white line to overtake but like I said, it is not possible to tell from your video.

Top Bottom