4x4 driver aiming for sainthood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was cycling home last night about 10 over freezing snow on country roads when a guy in a 4x4 pulls over next to me as I'd stopped for a drink.

'Are you liking this,' says he, 'or can I give you a lift.'

I was just at the top of the hill outside my village - the place where the worst of the snow and ice starts - and wasn't looking forward to sliding down with the anchors on, so I said yes.

Took us about 5 minutes to get the bike in back of his vehicle, 5 minutes to get to my house and 5 minutes to get the bike out. Usually takes me less than 10 minutes on the bike.

First time in 5 years daily commuting, anyone's ever stopped and offered anything other than abuse. I mainly agreed because it was kind of him to ask. The poor bloke froze helping me get the wheel off the bike!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
What a great guy..not often you get that. Warms the heart to know there are good people out there!

Arch

Married to Night Train
And what a nice way to ask too - gave you a way to say no without feeling obliged, if you'd wanted to.

Tynan

Veteran
people usually derided for their stupid great 4x4s are in their element and desperate to rub everyones' faces in how sensible their stupid great 4x4s are

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I've never really found that drivers of certain types of vehicle live up to their bad (or benign) stereotypes. I recently saw a bimmer driver cork a roundabout exit to let an old bid cross - superb observation and he or she positioned themselves just so to manage the drivers behind. Top driving.

If I had to pick a whipping-boy marque it'd have to be Peugeots. Absolute front-bottoms one and all.:biggrin:

GrasB

Veteran
Tynan, or maybe he was just a nice chap doing a nice thing because he had the time & thought someone might what some help? Often it's hard to answer the question 'why?', but it's usually harder & more interesting to try & answer the question 'why not?'... 'why?' is often answered latter with positive karma.

Bollo, interesting you say that as today I think every 4x4 that passed me did so nice n' wide giving me loads of space. The same can't be said about drivers of saloons & hatchbacks.

Jezston

Über Member
GrasB said:
Tynan, or maybe he was just a nice chap doing a nice thing because he had the time & thought someone might what some help? Often it's hard to answer the question 'why?', but it's usually harder & more interesting to try & answer the question 'why not?'... 'why?' is often answered latter with positive karma.

Quite. I like to live by the notion that if you can, do.
(not that I always do!)

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
A guy in a Mistubishi Warrior stopped to ask if i wanted a lift this morning. I was pushing the bike over that dry crumbly snow that breaks away under your front wheel.
I declined his very kind offer but was still very grateful that he took the trouble to ask.

OP
OP
johnr

johnr

Über Member
upsidedown said:
A guy in a Mistubishi Warrior stopped to ask if i wanted a lift this morning. I was pushing the bike over that dry crumbly snow that breaks away under your front wheel.
I declined his very kind offer but was still very grateful that he took the trouble to ask.

My man was in a Mitsubishi something... perhaps he's already made the sainhood and is just manifesting himself to cyclists in various locations until one of us starts a cult?:smile:

Top Bottom