5 hours sat in traffic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
and covered about 35 miles :cry:
I needed to deliver materials to a job I am doing so had to take the van . Next time I go there I'm taking the bike !!!!!!!!!
Any commuter tips for me ?
I will be riding in the dark both ways so wondering if I should fit the panniers and rack as they are high vis or leave them off for less weight and bulk through traffic . I will only need my sarnies and a change of clothes , maybe a flask of coffee :cuppa: . Rucksack ?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Panniers are better than a rucksack if you can fit them.

Steve

classic33

Leg End Member
Would what you're intending carrying fit in your panniers. And how are you at carrying any load, over a distance in a rucksack?

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The panniers would give me loads of room and I have no idea how I am with a rucksack over 17 miles as ive never done it . The rucksack thing , the mileage is easy .
It feels a bit weird asking the question as I have the mileage covered and am fine in traffic but ive always had the option to just turn around and go somewhere else before and its never been in rush hour London traffic

classic33

Leg End Member
If you're uncertain about the rucksack, go with the panniers.
Allowing yourself some extra time to allow for anything unexpected.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The flask is the only thing that will make it heavy . I'll make it and fill it up with water when I get there :becool:

KneesUp

Guru
I still commute with a rucksack after 6 months, but it's uncomfortable, and my commute is only 2.5 mile each way if I take the short route. I'm holding out for next time Aldi do pannier racks - if I already had them I'd definitely use them.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
average of 7mph - about par on a bad day in london
It took me an hour to get from Hanworth to Richmond :eek: I could walk it faster !
Pannier rack now going on :thumbsup:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You soon get used to panniers. It just keeps the weight off your shoulders. It is more comfortable. Having used both for many years, I now will stay with panniers for the commute (having had a knackered shoulder, even now it's better I will use them). PS Ortliebs also act as a rather effective air bag for the bike, saving It from major damage in a crash. Tried and tested it recently, and just a scratch on the pannier bags. :tongue: :wacko:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Just make sure you get panniers that lock securely to the rack. I've lost a couple over the years- reached my destination and found I'm a pannier down :sad:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Its a double bass ! :laugh:
sorted...
article-0-139B93EA000005DC-774_468x716.jpg

Oh, and on a more serious note, a rucksack has never felt like a major burden - but I've used them a lot. Panniers, apart from the fact that you have the extra weight of the rack and that there's a big temptation to carry more than you need, are more practical for longer journeys. If it's a 35 mile round trip, I wouldn't bother putting them on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom