5 points for hitting me - good result ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy 71

ajc said:
Andy 71, excellent points, very nicely put and I do agree with you. I'd kind of forgotten about his insurance (my missus does the insurance for our car so I've no idea how much it is these days) so thanks fossyant /steve it will be huge ! :biggrin:.

Longers, yes I was the same poster with the dodgy knee, well remembered ! (My knee has taken another battering !), I'd just go it sorted and had got six months trouble free cycling, before this. I may get on a bike at christmas.

The lad had just left his house so its fair to say he could have been thinking about other things, hopefully he'll learn from it.

Compensation is on-going, his insurers have admitted liabilty so its down to how much. I'm sure they will be pedantic but I'm in no hurry :evil:

Tynen, I'd have been really hacked off if mine had got driver training :tongue:, I saw your injuries mate, not pleasant, I hope the PI makes it less painful for you :biggrin:

Most youngsters these days are looking at £1k+ and a whopping excess to insure even the smallest of cars on a clean licence. This will hit him in the most sensitive place you can hit a young man - his wallet!

His NCB (for what is was worth) is blown and the insurers will probably have a field day.

Also, given he was awarded 5 points, a fixed penalty would not have been an option, and he has obviously been taken to court. Sounds like 'driving without due care' to me. The fine in this case will well exceed the usual £60 fixed penalty and he will have to pay around £50 costs (plus a victim surcharge?).

I don't think he will forget this incident in a hurry.

Best of health mate. Let's hope it's not too long before you are back on two wheels. Put it this way - the points will stay on the kids licence, long after you are fully healed and going about your normal business.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
AJC, sorry to read this.

I was hit nearly 4 weeks ago now when a driver pulled out of a left hand junction without looking. Next thing I know I'm seeing sky, ground, sky, ground spinning fast, and after that laying on my back in a daze with astonishing pain in my legs.

Some really bizarre few minutes, police and ambulance, trip to A&E to have my spine and neck tested but miraculously no broken bones, just cuts, bruising and torn muscle and so on....

Spent the last week myself trying to get hold of the driver (who's details were passed on to me by the police). Got the definate sense he was avoiding me, after 15 calls finally got him to send me insurance details and so will be phoning them tomorrow to take the next step...

Has made me wonder if I can make a personal injury claim from the insurers themselves? Does car insurance cover this?

Anyway, hope you heal up! I'd imagine the driver you "encountered" will get caught speeding, it only takes a few over the limit...

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Good luck with your healing process, I hope Santa brings you a new bike for christmas and that you are able to ride it. As for the other person involved, just get the money/compensation sorted as quickly as possible and then forget about it as quickly as possible that way you will be the winner.

Cheers.

louise

Really sorry to hear about your accident and hope you continue to recover and are successful in getting yourself some compensation.

His insurance will definately go, I am over 25 and had a very minor bump as a result of someone parking badly and basicaly blocking me in and mine went up over £400 :becool:, this was in my first year of driving.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I hope you recover soon and get back on the saddle again. I think the 1st ride out will be the hardest (akin to getting behind the wheel after a crash). As for the 5 points it sounds about right. His insurance will be like insanely high (if he declares the points!!!!) and he will have to keep his nose clean or he will get banned. I hope CTC sorts you out a suitable settlement. Best Wishes. Dave

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
5 points? I'd have wanted at least 20 for an experienced cyclist like you... otherwise how would I make 100 before the end of the year? :laugh:

Oh, sorry, wrong forum... :becool:

Seriously, get well soon and don't let the idiots get you down. :biggrin:

Top Bottom