5 portions a day!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
by definition, prejudice is a function of ignorance

I am not sure I agree with that. I would say that there are plenty of examples of people who are fully aware of the facts yet still succumb to the prejudice.

steviesch

taking the mick out of fat people is the least of their problems...and it is a problem of their own making in many cases...those that can waddle out of doors should be laughed off the street and made to feel thoroughly ashamed of themselves!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
domtyler said:
I am not sure I agree with that. I would say that there are plenty of examples of people who are fully aware of the facts yet still succumb to the prejudice.

that would be a case of simply ignoring inconvenient facts that contradict a previously held view.

prejudice: a preconceived judgment made without adequate evidence

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What's this a banana bashing thread....?????? I generally eat the nana's in the morning. They are a complex carb, and hence good for exercise as a fuel, but wasn't aware of the excess potassium issues.... although I'll still be eating 2-3 a day

gbb

Legendary Member
I think some are reading too much into a simple piece of advice...
5 portions of fruit or veg....its not written in stone, just a guide.

While youre eating those 5 or so portions (fruit in particular, cos you tend to snack on them), you (importantly) wont be eating crisps, chocolate or snacking on something equally bad for you...cos hopefully, you'll be satisfied by the good stuff. Its a double whammy.

FWIW, i love fruit and veg. Give me a Sunday dinner without the meat, i'd be just as happy. Luckily, i work in a fruit importers... i'm probably eating 6 satsumas a day at the mo...;)

bonj2

domtyler said:

Ignorance doesn't mean you don't know the facts. It just means you haven't taken them into account. That may be because you don't know them, or it may be because you have chosen to disregard them.

domtyler

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
that would be a case of simply ignoring inconvenient facts that contradict a previously held view.

prejudice: a preconceived judgment made without adequate evidence

Interesting facts, nevertheless I would still say that there are plenty of examples of people who are fully aware of the facts yet still succumb to the prejudice. ;)

domtyler

Über Member
bonj said:
Ignorance doesn't mean you don't know the facts. It just means you haven't taken them into account. That may be because you don't know them, or it may be because you have chosen to disregard them.

Well, there we go. Straight from the horses mouth!

PrettyboyTim

wafflycat said:
the five-a-day fruit & veg is not just about obesity. It's about more than that it's about having enough fibre in your diet - if you don't you increase your risk of bowel cancer, you can get constipated, risk piles, increase your risk of heart disease as fibre reduces cholesterol levels. It's only in part to do with weight control.

In that case, why doesn't a bowl of Bran Flakes count as one portion?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
My acupuncturist, as part of my health prob, went on a weekend trip to Amsterdam and got langered on cocktails. She claims that it's OK though as they contain fruit so count towards your five-a-day quota

Top Bottom