50 mile ride

Discussion in 'Sportives' started by yoyo, 9 Apr 2008.

1. yoyo

yoyo Senior Member

Completed a 50 mile ride today - my second of that distance. I went from near Thatcham to Marlborough using the K&A canal, Route 4 and the Grand Avenue through Savernake Forest. Took me 4hours and 40 minutes but I do believe in admiring the scenery and taking the odd photo to ensure MrYoyo believes me!

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Well done. Let's see the photos then! :biggrin:

3. OP
    OP
    yoyo

yoyo Senior Member

Ok. Just need to remember how to upload piccies! I don't think I have been successful!

4. Mortiroloboy

Mortiroloboy New Member

Hello YoYo! Looks like those training loops around West Woodhay and Woolton Hill did the trick :biggrin: that is a very good distance, especially as some of the towpath beyond Kintbury and through Hungerford Common is just a single track, or it was the last time I cycled along there. The potholes on the Grand Avenue are pretty impressive too, more like bomb craters!
    Well done you :biggrin: Now get your self down to Banjo's and buy a proper road bike and join us :becool:

5. OP
    OP
    yoyo

yoyo Senior Member

Hi Mortiroloboy!

Sorry to read of your misfortunes. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the congrats! The training loops did no trick - I had done a 50 mile and many 30 mile trips before that - I just don't ride fast! I came off the toepath at Hampstead/ Marsh Benham and used route 4 as I know the toepath after that is very bumpy. The potholes in the forest are large but not prohibitive on a good sturdy bike.

Thanks for the invite to join the club. When I was out I was braking and free-wheeling on the flats and then had the wrong speeds for the hills. It is a club for speed and not a club for people interested in touring. Also, I object to being told that my bike is not 'proper' - it is one that suits me like a glove and I am hideously proud to own it.

6. Mortiroloboy

Mortiroloboy New Member

I didn't mean to dis your Batavus:blush: Is that Mr YoYo on the back page of the NWN? with the Newbury Volley ball team!

Feeling better every day, but Mrs Mortiroloboy wont let me out on my bike ;)

7. OP
    OP
    yoyo

yoyo Senior Member

That's ok! You're forgiven. We don't get the NWN so I can't answer that one. Both of us are far too clumsy - I verge on the dyspraxic and he is not far off - to play any sport involving co-ordination. Rugby and running are the best anyone in our family can rise to!

MrYoyo would probably wish that I was as obedient as you regarding getting out on my bike!

8. Mortiroloboy

Mortiroloboy New Member

I dare not disobey, Mrs M has a very nasty temper when roused:ohmy:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice