50 mile ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yoyo

Completed a 50 mile ride today - my second of that distance. I went from near Thatcham to Marlborough using the K&A canal, Route 4 and the Grand Avenue through Savernake Forest. Took me 4hours and 40 minutes but I do believe in admiring the scenery and taking the odd photo to ensure MrYoyo believes me!

domtyler

Über Member
Well done. Let's see the photos then! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Y

yoyo

Ok. Just need to remember how to upload piccies! I don't think I have been successful!

Mortiroloboy

Hello YoYo! Looks like those training loops around West Woodhay and Woolton Hill did the trick :biggrin: that is a very good distance, especially as some of the towpath beyond Kintbury and through Hungerford Common is just a single track, or it was the last time I cycled along there. The potholes on the Grand Avenue are pretty impressive too, more like bomb craters!
Well done you :biggrin: Now get your self down to Banjo's and buy a proper road bike and join us :becool:

OP
OP
Y

yoyo

Hi Mortiroloboy!

Sorry to read of your misfortunes. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the congrats! The training loops did no trick - I had done a 50 mile and many 30 mile trips before that - I just don't ride fast! I came off the toepath at Hampstead/ Marsh Benham and used route 4 as I know the toepath after that is very bumpy. The potholes in the forest are large but not prohibitive on a good sturdy bike.

Thanks for the invite to join the club. When I was out I was braking and free-wheeling on the flats and then had the wrong speeds for the hills. It is a club for speed and not a club for people interested in touring. Also, I object to being told that my bike is not 'proper' - it is one that suits me like a glove and I am hideously proud to own it.

Mortiroloboy

I didn't mean to dis your Batavus:blush: Is that Mr YoYo on the back page of the NWN? with the Newbury Volley ball team!

Feeling better every day, but Mrs Mortiroloboy wont let me out on my bike ;)

OP
OP
Y

yoyo

That's ok! You're forgiven. We don't get the NWN so I can't answer that one. Both of us are far too clumsy - I verge on the dyspraxic and he is not far off - to play any sport involving co-ordination. Rugby and running are the best anyone in our family can rise to!

MrYoyo would probably wish that I was as obedient as you regarding getting out on my bike!

Top Bottom