50th Anniversary this coming Monday. Anyone know what it is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
50 years ago on Monday, we switched from LSD to £ and pence with nothing in between. The big D-Day! I was only 12 so well able to make the arithmetical switch in my mind but of course, the Spitfire and White Cliffs of Dover brigade still think everything doubled in cost overnight!

And 51% of the population of England no doubt what to return to £.S.d with immediate effect!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We still have some inherited household cleaning products that have "old money" price stickers.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
On the topic of money....
Did you know that the Scottish banknotes often seen circulating especially in Northern England are not legal tender and have no value at all, apart from the paper they are printed on.

They are legal tender as they have 'Pounds Sterling' on them. Therefore, perfectly legal.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
the Spitfire and White Cliffs of Dover brigade still think everything doubled in cost overnight!

There was a few stories at the time of companies rounding up the price of their goods when converting to the new money.

Usually only a fraction of an old penny was 'lost', but someone worked out it came to a decent sum for the likes of Mars and their eponymous bar.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
And like one of those questions on 'House of Games', "What year was the term 'new pee' last used, as in Fifty new p?"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Yes, I remember, I'd just left the navy and was working in a factory stores.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not the Quartermaster Stores?

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I can remember in school having difficulty learning how to add in £/s/d and I’d just about got the hang of it when the teacher told me that in a few years everything would be changing and there’d be 5 pence in a shilling :banghead:

Top Bottom