52-11 etc

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by Fnaar, 17 Jul 2012.

1. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

OK, my roadie has 52-39 up front, and 11-24 at the back. What gets used in TdF etc? Diff for different stages, I'm guessing, but just out of (growing ) interest.

-----------------------------------
    Sent mobile phone stylee

2. StuAff

StuAff Silencing his legs regularly

As you reckon, basically...53/39 for flatter stages (for stage 11 Tommy Voeckler ran that with 11-27 on the back), compacts I imagine will be out in force for the Tourmalet etc tomorrow. There are some variations, depending on riders' preferences and the needs of the stage. David Millar ended up running a SRAM XX- MTB- rear derailleur with 11-36 on some stages of the Giro last year as his Rotor chainset wasn't available as a compact.

Fnaar likes this.
  3. cyberknight

cyberknight Wibble

As Stuaff says they very the cassette they use depending on the stage parcours, if you can run a minimum of 39x24 your either a cycling god, live somewhere flat or like to grind !
    Of course Jens voight runs a 11,11,11,11,11,11,11,11,11,12 :blush:

edindave, just jim and lukesdad like this.
  4. ohnovino

ohnovino Large Member

Is it Jens Voigt who's used a 56 up front?

5. OP
    OP
    Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

hi, it's just what's on my bike. I manage Northumberland hills okay, but I'm no cycling superstar! Just a middle aged guy with dodgy knees.
    -----------------------------------
    Sent mobile phone stylee

6. cyberknight

cyberknight Wibble

I like to spin so a compact with 11-28 is a godsend especially around cannock chase .the commuter is a compact with 12-25 .I do like to have a gear or 2 spare just in case i have an off day .

Sent old school pc stylee :smile:

Fnaar likes this.
  7. Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger im a little tea pot

Mines running a big gear of 50-11 and smallest of 34-28 so is good on the flats and descents and good on the steep stuff! Cant knock it really

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

8. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Same here - the 34-28 is perfect for attacking really steep hills. My only dislike is the big gap between the 50 and the 34.

9. Hont

Hont Veteran

I think Bert Grabsch has used a 58 in TTs. iirc.

10. OP
    OP
    Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

11. martint235

martint235 Dog on a bike

I have 11-25 on both my bikes with 53/39. I don't have a particularly high cadence though. :thumbsup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice