52-11 etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
OK, my roadie has 52-39 up front, and 11-24 at the back. What gets used in TdF etc? Diff for different stages, I'm guessing, but just out of (growing ) interest.

-----------------------------------
Sent mobile phone stylee

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
As you reckon, basically...53/39 for flatter stages (for stage 11 Tommy Voeckler ran that with 11-27 on the back), compacts I imagine will be out in force for the Tourmalet etc tomorrow. There are some variations, depending on riders' preferences and the needs of the stage. David Millar ended up running a SRAM XX- MTB- rear derailleur with 11-36 on some stages of the Giro last year as his Rotor chainset wasn't available as a compact.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
As Stuaff says they very the cassette they use depending on the stage parcours, if you can run a minimum of 39x24 your either a cycling god, live somewhere flat or like to grind

hi, it's just what's on my bike. I manage Northumberland hills okay, but I'm no cycling superstar! Just a middle aged guy with dodgy knees.
-----------------------------------
Sent mobile phone stylee

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
hi, it's just what's on my bike. I manage Northumberland hills okay, but I'm no cycling superstar! Just a middle aged guy with dodgy knees.

I like to spin so a compact with 11-28 is a godsend especially around cannock chase .the commuter is a compact with 12-25 .I do like to have a gear or 2 spare just in case i have an off day .

Sent old school pc stylee :smile:

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Mines running a big gear of 50-11 and smallest of 34-28 so is good on the flats and descents and good on the steep stuff! Cant knock it really

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

Globalti

Legendary Member
Same here - the 34-28 is perfect for attacking really steep hills. My only dislike is the big gap between the 50 and the 34.

Hont

Guru
Is it Jens Voigt who's used a 56 up front?

I think Bert Grabsch has used a 58 in TTs. iirc.

Top Bottom