52t front crank?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
385262_10152489269190691_1019044233_n.jpg

542442_10152489269080691_1771086339_n.jpg

558256_10152489266785691_614560703_n.jpg

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I've never quite gotten my head around ratios, so I need a little help.

My winter hack / commuter / single speed is currently running 52t on the front and 17t on the back 16t in the summer) and the ratio suits me just fine. The 52t front crank is very old and not only has shark finning on the teeth, some of the teeth are so worn that it looks like they've melted.

I can't replace just the chainring because it's an obsolete crank so I figure I'll just replace the crank and the chainring. When I look around the web I see plenty of singlespeed / fixie crank and chainring sets but most seem to be 42t or 44t. So if I got 44t what would I need to change the back to?

Can I buy a standard front crank and then buy a chainring of my choice? Do spacers for front cranks exist?

This is not a pretty bike (but I love it) so I'm fairly open to any suggestions.

You need to look in the right place .... Plenty of 48's here http://velosolo.co.uk/shopcrank.html

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Those are damn big gears you are all riding there, I would be walking up a lot of hills with that ratio on my bike. You make me feel weak :cry:.

I only use the SS for getting to work and a bit of biffing around at lunchtime, and while I wouldn't say Suffolk is as flat as folk think it is, there are almost no hills around where I work :smile:

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I've never quite gotten my head around ratios, so I need a little help.

Gear-calculator is by far the best GUI of any of the gear calculators on the web. Just a shame that rpm only goes up to 120!

This is my ratio. Click on 'Show Values' and change to development or speed, then drag the sprocket or chainwheel up or down in size with your mouse. Oh, and make sure to set your own tyre size too.

e-rider

crappy member
Tests in the 1990s showed that using a larger front chainring was slightly more efficient, than a smaller one (for the same size gear) - also, larger rear sprockets are more tolerant of a chainline that isn't 100% straight.

Two reasons you should stick to a larger front ring and larger sprocket, rather than changing to 42x14 or similar

the downside is that 'going large' means more weight

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Tests in the 1990s showed that using a larger front chainring was slightly more efficient, than a smaller one (for the same size gear) - also, larger rear sprockets are more tolerant of a chainline that isn't 100% straight.

Two reasons you should stick to a larger front ring and larger sprocket, rather than changing to 42x14 or similar

the downside is that 'going large' means more weight

Thank you!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Riding 48 x16 here and I manage, my neighbour over the road is on a 52 x 17 I think?? But he is a wee lightweight! Oh and looking at the pictures in this thread, it would seem my front rings looks as worn as the ones on here lol. I too need new chain ring, rear cog and chain to boot, bike is currently off the road due to also new bearings required for rear wheel but toying with the idea of building a new set of wheels. My fixed was my main commuter and I miss it badly, not that the new acquired Giant SCR 2 is bad, I just love riding fixed!

Top Bottom