531 framed bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why is there such a difference in the values of old 531 bikes ? Is it because of the components ?

I can understand why the likes of Hetchins etc are so sought after (appearance mainly, I guess).

About a year ago, I purchased an old (but perfectly useable) Rory O'Brien for a massive £40; but an elderly friend told me that O'Briens cost more than many other (531 framed) bikes at the time. Why ?

Frankly, I think that old bikes with 531 frames can be a very good buy; I have a very lightweight FW Evans bike which weighs about 21 Ibs (cost £100), a friend has a Felt F75 (17.5 Ilbs and about £1,000), another friend has a Van Nicholas £1,600, yet another has a Trek Madone (15 Ilbs and about £2,500).

Bearing in mind that we all cycle only occasionally (we certainly don't compete), I feel that I am certainly getting the best value for money. Some people may say that steel bikes are old-fashioned, but it is hard to argue against the economics. Yes, my bike does weigh a bit more, but does it matter when in fact I could do with losing a few pounds myself.

Is it a case of the Emperor's new clothes ?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
A lot of the time i'd agree with you on the emperor's new clothes bit; a mate of mine commutes 33 miles daily on a dawes stratos (531/8 speed 105) that he bought for...........£26!

There's nowt wrong with steel frames, I own one or two myself, but there's something extraordinary about a really light bike. You'd think a few pounds wouldn't make much difference to the feel but it really does. 531 was developed for aeroplanes in the thirties and had reached the vertex of it's evolutionary potential by the seventies in terms of wall thickness and internal butting.

There nothing wrong with it like there's nothing wrong with a MKIII Cortina but with the passage of time the technology has moved on in leaps and bounds.

Each to their own. I think it's great that you can get a good old bike for peanuts but I also like to remind myself that if I was this big into most other pastimes (Motorbikes, cars, diving whatever) it would cost me a bunch more money than the piddling £3K that my best bike is worth. Whichever way you look at it it's a cheap sport.

EYE-TYE-MAD

There's nowt wrong with steel frames, I own one or two myself, but there's something extraordinary about a really light bike. You'd think a few pounds wouldn't make much difference to the feel but it really does. 531 was developed for aeroplanes in the thirties and had reached the vertex of it's evolutionary potential by the seventies in terms of wall thickness and internal butting.

There nothing wrong with it like there's nothing wrong with a MKIII Cortina but with the passage of time the technology has moved on in leaps and bounds.

Each to their own. I think it's great that you can get a good old bike for peanuts but I also like to remind myself that if I was this big into most other pastimes (Motorbikes, cars, diving whatever) it would cost me a bunch more money than the piddling £3K that my best bike is worth. Whichever way you look at it it's a cheap sport.
I agree, a decent 531 frame with the right bits can still be a good ride by any measure.

HovR

Über Member
Just so you know, this thread is over 3 years old. You may want to check the dates before posting.. :thumbsup:

screenman

Legendary Member
I used to live in a council flat, before that a halfway house, before that a hostel I now own a nice 4/5 bed house overlooking miles of open countryside. Bit the same with my bikes started off on scaffold tubes and now enjoy something a bit more newish might we say. The thing is some aspire and drive for nicer things in their view whilst others are happy with what they have and where they are, in my mind there is absolutely nothing wrong with either.

In fact whilst I was driving forward I often envied those that were content with what they had, now I am one of them content, just in a different place to where I started.

Still got 653 sitting on the turbo, in fact it has been there that long they have most likely fused together.

Personally I very much doubt I get a measurable amount of more pleasure riding my newer bike than I did in the past riding those older bikes.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Just so you know, this thread is over 3 years old. You may want to check the dates before posting.. :thumbsup:
Why's that? I don't understand your beef, are you having a bad day?

It's not as if the thread related to anything time-sensitive like prices or availability.

HovR

Über Member
Why's that? I don't understand your beef, are you having a bad day?

It's not as if the thread related to anything time-sensitive like prices or availability.

I don't have any "Beef", nor was I having a bad day. Re-awakening (so to speak) old threads is often looked down upon in online communities.

The poster I was quoting may not have been aware that the thread was so old, so a bit of helpful advice ("You might want to check the dates before posting") may have prevented him from making the same mistake again in a more time sensitive thread.

I don't see any issue with me posting what I did. Did I come across as hostile? As that was not the intent of the post (hence the wink face).

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
...Re-awakening (so to speak) old threads is often looked down upon in online communities.

Why?

The poster I was quoting may not have been aware that the thread was so old, so a bit of helpful advice ("You might want to check the dates before posting") may have prevented him from making the same mistake again in a more time sensitive thread.

Your advice is only helpful, if you accept the premise above; similarly ETM's post was only a mistake on the same basis.

I don't see any issue with me posting what I did. Did I come across as hostile? As that was not the intent of the post (hence the wink face).

Not hostile: patronising, which the emoticon served to reinforce.

Manonabike

Über Member
I don't have any "Beef", nor was I having a bad day. Re-awakening (so to speak) old threads is often looked down upon in online communities.

Says who? A lot of nonsense IMHO. Probably starting a brand new thread to discuss the same topic would seem rather silly. People do that old the time cause they are not aware of old threads.

HovR

Über Member
At no point did I say "It is bad to post in 3 year old threads, you should not do it." or anything of the sort. I was merely informing the poster that the thread was over 3 years old, as IME it was more than likely they were not aware. I have no idea why you are making such a big deal over this.

I came across as patronising, and the emoticon reinforced that? Seems you can't win here - No emoticon and people take you far too seriously, and with emoticons I come across as patronising. Oh well.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
You may not have said it directly, but you certainly implied it: why else would yuo feel obliged to point out his "error"?

What difference does it make whether or not they knew how old the original post was? You still haven't explained why "Re-awakening (so to speak) old threads is often looked down upon in online communities."

Your post was patronising, with or without the emoticon: it reinforced your attitude, it didn't define it.

"IME" you weren't "merely informing" ETM of anything, you were drawing attention to mistake and demonstrating your membership of an elite by your understanding of unwritten codes of conduct and behaviour.

I am making no bigger a deal of it than you are: I am expressing my opinion that your criticism was petty and groundless; if you don't like your opinions being scrutinised, I suggest you keep them to yourself rather than posting them on a public foirum.

Top Bottom