531 Mixte information required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TenaciousDH

Hello there,

On my intro post I mentioned that I was interested in getting an errand/shop bike, possibly Dutch style but if not a step through frame. A 531 Mixte was suggested and I've been googling them ever since. I knew what 531 was as I mountain bike and am aware of the steel frames some manufacturers use but I'd never heard of a Mixte before. I had no idea it was a style of frame. So my question is, what makes and manufacturers should I be looking out for, also what age? Are they expensive and if so is there a similar style of frame that is more available? I don't mind a fixer upper... I'm of the opinion that something old that looks a bit crap is probably less desirable to bike theives. As long as it fits me and it rides ok I don't care what it looks like. As to fit, I'm 5'5". I've seen a few Mixte bikes for sale and they seem to be on the large side, did they make something lke a 17" frame? I'd already been looking at old Raleigh Pioneers as they are step through and there seems to be quite a few around but I know nothing about them and what they're made of. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Where are you @TenaciousDH ?

Bridgwater charity bicycle project have a rather nice Raleigh mixte 531 doer-upper for under £100. I took it for a short spin and it rode beautifully even on 23c tyres!

Hi there !
There should be someone along who is more knowledgeable soon . I am in the dark as much as you .
There used to be several people on here who had them so hopefully they should see your thread .

OP
OP
TenaciousDH

TenaciousDH

Where are you @TenaciousDH ?

Bridgwater charity bicycle project have a rather nice Raleigh mixte 531 doer-upper for under £100. I took it for a short spin and it rode beautifully even on 23c tyres!

I'm in Northampton, UK. Originally from Nottingham where growing up in the 70s, everyone had a Raleigh bike (I had a Grifter).

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I suggest you go on eBay and search for 'bicycle mixte' . My search came up with 31 ads from £45-600. This style of frame hasn't been made for a number of years so unless it's been restored you'll be looking at doing a fair amount of work. The top price one was a '78 Carlton Courette is an unrestored example in excellent original condition. Distance will of course be a factor for you.
Pioneers are a excellent bike and a good buy if you can find one in good condition. @SkipdiverJohn is a particular fan. Think some were made with 531.

Last edited:

goldcoastjon

Mixte frames (from the FR for "mixed," as in mixed-use) are terrific load haulers, and even the lower-end ones like my 1972-ish Peugeot UO-18 mixte serve very well for urban riding/town bikes.

A true "mixte" frame has twin lateral tubes running from the head tube to the rear dropouts, or twin laterals from the rear dropouts that merge into one larger tube forward of the seat tube. This makes the frame laterally very stiff for carrying loads (tools, groceries, etc.).

Many big bike companies and smaller custom builders made these BITD and some still do. The French-made ones, in particular, tend to have longer top tubes relative to their seat tube heights.

If you are not riding long distances (20 miles or more) on this bike, you may do quite well with something like my "gas-pipe" Peugeot mixte or a similar Motobecane, Gitane, or Raleigh: install lighter wheels with alloy rims if you find one with steel rims that you want to upgrade. (I swapped out the wheels, crank set, brakes, and saddle on mine a decade ago.)

Last edited:

goldcoastjon

Here's a 2017 photo of my mixte, just back from the weekly Farmer's Market.

Attachments

• JS Mixte-loaded, Market 2014.jpg
    JS Mixte-loaded, Market 2014.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 10
They're not "desirable", so to some extent you can have your pick.

The Dawes Galaxy was very popular as mixte. There was a Dawes Horizon mixte on eBay that would have been suitable.

If you can, I would advise you to check the bike has 700c wheels rather than 27 x 1 1/4". Spare wheels in 27" are harder to come by.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
If you can, I would advise you to check the bike has 700c wheels rather than 27 x 1 1/4". Spare wheels in 27" are harder to come by.

Well I have loads of 27" wheels if anyone wants some.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@TenaciousDH welcome from a Wellingborough member .
Mixte's are a good choice as they can be picked up cheaply and as others have said quite a few around made by good quality builders .
Look out for Dawes Galaxies, Raleigh Clubman's, and in all fairness the Raleigh Wisp's are good but can be heavy .
Loads around have a look on Facebook marketplace

OP
OP
TenaciousDH

TenaciousDH

Thanks for all the replies. I've been scanning FB Marketplace, eBay and gumtree. Lots of Pioneers available cheaply but I prefer the look of the mixte frame. I found a Raleigh Nova locally, looks to be in good condition. It's has an 18-23 sticker on the seat tube, is this the 'gas pipe' steel people have referred to?
I see they come with 26", 27" or 700c wheels and a variety of components. How easy is to replace with modern components if necessary? The stem and bars would be easy enough and possibly the seat tube but what about the bottom bracket, headset, cranks and pedals etc.? Are the hubs a standard width or have they gone the way of MTB hubs and spacing of recent years?

Also, people seem to be asking silly money for some of these bikes and frames. I bet if I'd been interested in these a decade ago they'd have been as cheap as chips. The annoying thing is, I'm old enough to have bought some of these bikes when they were new!

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Bottom bracket spares still available as are most spares .
Hubs will be older style ie 100 mm front and I would guess 126 or 128 mm at the rear so newer wheels might not just slot in .
Avoid if poss 26 x 11/4" wheels as tyres are hard to find , 27" wheels and tyres still around as are 700c try and go for alloy rims over steel rims or upgrade quickly .
18/23 is basic steel so could be heavy but should be a good ride

Top Bottom