53x12

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Anyone know the spin out speed of this gear combo...

:biggrin:

The other day I was doing 30mph and it still 'hard' to pedal... :angry:

Smeggers

Spin out on me 53x13 all the time.

Gravity has to assist of course!

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Smeggers said:
Spin out on me 53x13 all the time.

Gravity has to assist of course!

I had this ratio 13-24 9sp block but now its a shimano 12-21 (self made) and theirs quite (a massive) a difference between a 12 and a 13 !!!!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
There wa a better link on Sheldons page, but all i could find was his one.
Put the stuff in and see.
Still cant find the link to the otherone i was thinking of.
Edit: Will beat me to it :biggrin:

Chris James

Über Member
My top gear is 52x12 which is pointlessly high in my opinion. For downhills above 35mph or so I go into an aero tuck anyway as I think I am faster as well as using no energy.

I can't imagine ever spinning out a 53/12. If we are saying 35mph for 100 rpm then that is pretty quick and most people would consider spinning out to be way above 100 rpm. So, I don't know 50mph before spinning out?

dodgy

Chris James said:
My top gear is 52x12 which is pointlessly high in my opinion. For downhills above 35mph or so I go into an aero tuck anyway as I think I am faster as well as using no energy.

I can't imagine ever spinning out a 53/12. If we are saying 35mph for 100 rpm then that is pretty quick and most people would consider spinning out to be way above 100 rpm. So, I don't know 50mph before spinning out?

Which is the reason I have a compact, it's very rare I manage to spin out 50/12 and if I am able to spin it out, it means I'm descending anyway.

Dave.

Chris James

Über Member
Mine's a triple:biggrin:

But I agree , which is why I suggested on the compact thread that a 50/39/30 triple makes more sense to me than a 52/42/30 albeit that there are lots of duplicated gears on triples so having gears that are 'too high' is less of a drama.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

dodgy said:
Which is the reason I have a compact, it's very rare I manage to spin out 50/12 and if I am able to spin it out, it means I'm descending anyway.

Dave.

You cant get the power with 'compacts' as you can with normal sized rings..wear out quicker too !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't often get the need to spin a 53 x 13, as that's into tuck speeds at high revs.........certainly not in the UK and I am in the Peak's - far faster speeds are achieved by removing brain, depositing it in your rear pocket, and GOING FOR IT in a TUCK POSITION........ or brown pant's "ing" it !!

bonj2

yenrod said:
Anyone know the spin out speed of this gear combo...

:smile:

The other day I was doing 30mph and it still 'hard' to pedal... :ohmy:

over 40mph. My 'terminal' velocity (on any hill i've tried so far anyway) is about 42mph and i find my top gear of 52x11 (which is higher than 53x12 btw) is about right for that.
My spinning out speed for my middle ring (42x11) is about 30mph.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
yenrod said:
You cant get the power with 'compacts' as you can with normal sized rings..wear out quicker too !

i'd be interested to hear you theory to back up the first bit of this claim?

as for the second bit, how much quicker will a 50 toothed chainring wear out compared with a 52...that's right, a whopping 4%

bonj2

you can't play cards without the ace of spades and the ace of hearts.

never thought of that 'tuck' method being faster than pedalling, but will have to have a go, sounds like it may be worth a try.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
bonj said:
never thought of that 'tuck' method being faster than pedalling, but will have to have a go, sounds like it may be worth a try.

it'll depend upon the gradient of the slope of course. and wind speed and direction.. although wind speed and direction would be irrelevant after a certain, steepness of gradient

if you knew a chap knowledgeable in physics, he could probably work it out, or just trial and error.

as for your 42 being the max, is it through fear or just wind resistance? i once recorded 46.9mxs, and i'm sure that won't be the fastest

Top Bottom