53x12

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

hubgearfreak said:
it'll depend upon the gradient of the slope of course. and wind speed and direction.. although wind speed and direction would be irrelevant after a certain, steepness of gradient

if you knew a chap knowledgeable in physics, he could probably work it out, or just trial and error.

as for your 42 being the max, is it through fear or just wind resistance? i once recorded 46.9mxs, and i'm sure that won't be the fastest

without wanting to be rude, why did YOU even click on this thread - if you yearn for a bike with proper gears why don't you just get one?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
bonj said:
without wanting to be rude, why did YOU even click on this thread - if you yearn for a bike with proper gears why don't you just get one?

i fail to see how ones choice of transmission system matters in a discussion that has digressed into one about freewheeling?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
also

(my everyday bike) 700 X 38 / 38-622 tire with 170 mm cranks and 18 tooth sprocket With SRAM/Sachs Spectro new-style 7-speed Hub

the top speed, in gear inches is 129

(my 29er) 700 X 56 / 56-622 / 29 inch tire with 170 mm cranks and 20 tooth sprocket With SRAM i-Motion 9-speed Hub

the top speed in gear inches is a mere 104

i think i can join in a thread concerning its self with a gear of 120 inches

hubgearfreak

Über Member
bonj said:
with all due respect, how much do aerodynamics actually matter on a granny's bike?

i'm not sure that you are not wanting to be rude. but aerodynamics matter on all bikes. the less sporty the riding position, the more it matters

hubgearfreak

Über Member
bonj said:

are you the same bonj who's constantly rambling on like a stuck record about (your perceived) inadequacies of fixed in the fixed forums?

bonj2

hubgearfreak said:
also

(my everyday bike) 700 X 38 / 38-622 tire with 170 mm cranks and 18 tooth sprocket With SRAM/Sachs Spectro new-style 7-speed Hub

the top speed, in gear inches is 129

(my 29er) 700 X 56 / 56-622 / 29 inch tire with 170 mm cranks and 20 tooth sprocket With SRAM i-Motion 9-speed Hub

the top speed in gear inches is a mere 104

i think i can join in a thread concerning its self with a gear of 120 inches

what does this talk of 'inches' mean when it's at home? We're in the 21st century now.

At the end of the day you could take your basket off but I doubt it would make much difference.

bonj2

hubgearfreak said:
i'm not sure that you are not wanting to be rude. but aerodynamics matter on all bikes. the less sporty the riding position, the more it matters

i hardly see how aerodynamics matter when you're pootling around the precinct on a shopper.

hubgearfreak said:
are you the same bonj who's constantly rambling on like a stuck record about the inadequacies of fixed in the fixed forums?

I haven't ranted against fixeds for ages actually.
Still not sure i agree with them, but you don't seem to get the whole sorry cycle of newbie asks dumb question, stalwarts pile in with masses of received wisdom, newbie initiated into the clique, within weeks newbie thinks they know it all - repeating itself in the fixed section too much these days, touch wood.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
bonj said:
what does this talk of 'inches' mean when it's at home? We're in the 21st century now.

At the end of the day you could take your basket off but I doubt it would make much difference.

OK OK then just compare 120 with 129 as purely arbitrary measurements. even you'll see that they're comparable.

or divide by 39 and multiply by 3.14 to see meters travelled per pedal rev. not too difficult for a man of your intelligence.

i'm sad to say that i don't have a basket. but adding one (or removing one if i did have one) would of course make a difference aerodynamically

hubgearfreak

Über Member
bonj said:
I haven't ranted against fixeds for ages actually.

you were doing it again half an hour ago.:smile:

as for newbies getting it. it might be because they've tried it?

i have cycled 1000s of miles on a dérailleured bike, 1000s on a hubgeared bike and 1000s on fixed, so i know what i'm whittling on about. how about you?:ohmy:

have you ridden any distance other than on a dérailleured bike to know anything about what you dismiss?

bonj2

I've got a derailleured bke and nothing about it persuades me that hub gears could possibly be an improvement. As for a fixed bike, i'd happily try it, but the temptation is not great enough for me t buy a fixed bike just for the experience of riding one, my preconception is that it would be a fairly long learning curve (even with mtb pedals), the reward being only a slight novelty feeling of being more connected to the back wheel, at the detriment of other things such as being able to spin up hill and go fast downhill, two things I like about my geared bike. I normally trust my preconceptions as they are usually right..

Top Bottom