6 months in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OvertheHill

Über Member
So it's now 6 months since I started riding my bike again and commuting. In that time I've

• cycled 1175 miles
  • spent 3 days 16 hours in the saddle
  • used 74200 kcals, equivalent to approx 21.2lbs of fat
  • Saved parking fees = £550
  • Saved running costs = £635 (@ 54p per mile for my car)
  • Increased my average speed to work from 13.8mph to 18.5mph
  • Increased my average speed from work from 10.9mph to 13.5mph
  • Climbed 46000ft, or just short of two Mt. Everests

And I feel great
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nice one mate, it's a great feeling isn't it?

How about putting your mileage up on the Cycle Chat Cyclogs team.
Register and log your mileage here

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
OvertheHill said:
So it's now 6 months since I started riding my bike again and commuting. In that time I've

• cycled 1175 miles
  • spent 3 days 16 hours in the saddle
  • used 74200 kcals, equivalent to approx 21.2lbs of fat
  • Saved parking fees = £550
  • Saved running costs = £635 (@ 54p per mile for my car)
  • Increased my average speed to work from 13.8mph to 18.5mph
  • Increased my average speed from work from 10.9mph to 13.5mph
  • Climbed 46000ft, or just short of two Mt. Everests
And I feel great
;):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Fantastic...this is a really good summary, I've never thought to actually analyse those facts, I'll bet we would all be mighty surprised if we did.

Great post!!;)

biking_fox

Guru
Saved parking fees = £550
Saved running costs = £635 (@ 54p per mile for my car)

And how much have you spent on parts... you want a new bike now don't you? I know you do?! ;)

Seriously, well done for keeping going, now you just have to face the winter (and watch those average speeds drop back again) and you'll be even fitter!

OP
OP
O

OvertheHill

Über Member
biking_fox said:
And how much have you spent on parts... you want a new bike now don't you? I know you do?! ;)

Seriously, well done for keeping going, now you just have to face the winter (and watch those average speeds drop back again) and you'll be even fitter!

You may have noticed I'm a stats junkie so I'll analyse what I've spent on the bike and accessories later

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
p.s. good work and congrats!!! Keep it up through the winter, right?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
OvertheHill said:
You may have noticed I'm a stats junkie so I'll analyse what I've spent on the bike and accessories later

Can you update us, Honestly I'm interested to see…I know you probably think I'm being facetious, but I genuinely would like to see how it all measures up (bit of a stat-junkie myself ;))

mattybain

So thats 88 Hours in the saddle and 74,200 calories which makes it 843 calories an hour.

I know for a fact that I don't burn that much, I would need an extra 1,700 calories a day which I am clearly not getting. Techncially I should be dead!!

How did you get at that figure? I find getting accurate calorific burn information for cycling really really difficult.

Also the 54p a mile seems really high, did you ditch your car completely?

I reckon on about 15p saved for me as I still have my car so it's only petrol and proptionally less wear and tear / maintenance that I'm saving.

Nice one, overthehill. Top achievement.

I only really keep a log of distance covered and total time .. cyclogs is good for that. I do also have an MS Access database that I knocked up which I can use to record more details about each ride and so do more detailled breakdowns. But I'm not that good at updating it. ;)

I'm just coming up on 2100 miles so far this year, which is better than last year: I just topped 2100 in the whole year. But I only started commuting in March last year.

karlos_the_jackal

Work in progress
Well i've done four months, with one month off.

I've spent:-

£270 (second hand bike)
£26 front lights cateye
£15 2 frog knogs
£35 Altura waterproof breathable
£5 x 2 Only bought two tubes and done repairs on only one.
£14 Set of marathon wheels (purchased but yet to see! from ebay.)
£20 gore wear shorts
£10 decathlon short sleeve jersey
£15 retro tdf green jersey
£25 altura jersey
£15 condor lycra shorts.
£45 service and replacement cables.
£10 Haynes bike manual
£30 lock
£60 helmet

So total £620, but based on at least 2 commutes a week throughout(including the month off) 832 miles so so far £1.34 per mile.

Saved £224 on train fares so then it takes it down to 47p per mile. And that will just come down over next few months.

Apart from............new helmet, shoes.

Thats stats for you

purplepolly

biking_fox said:
And how much have you spent on parts... you want a new bike now don't you? I know you do?! :biggrin:

that doesn't count cos it's money spent on being fit and healthy :biggrin:

it's like buying fruit and veg instead of pizza and jaffa cakes

OP
OP
O

OvertheHill

Über Member
mattybain said:
So thats 88 Hours in the saddle and 74,200 calories which makes it 843 calories an hour.

I know for a fact that I don't burn that much, I would need an extra 1,700 calories a day which I am clearly not getting. Techncially I should be dead!!

How did you get at that figure? I find getting accurate calorific burn information for cycling really really difficult.

Also the 54p a mile seems really high, did you ditch your car completely?

I reckon on about 15p saved for me as I still have my car so it's only petrol and proptionally less wear and tear / maintenance that I'm saving.

Hi - the figures come directly from Rubitrack which in turn imports my Garmin 305. I only have a short commute so I push it as hard as I can - race against myself, best times etc.

The 54p per mile is the figure from the What Car cost per mile for the car I used to have - a Golf Gti. I've replaced that in the last 2 weeks for a Prius so my savings will go down now!

Top Bottom