6 weeks to train for 100 miler?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david1701

Hi guys, ATM I am coming out of my lazy winter and I've pootled back up to doing relaxed 30-40 mile hilly rides.

Do you reckon I can pull my socks up and get hit enough to do a very flat (but laden) 100 miler as the first day of a tour, followed by a week of holiday and then some normal tour distances for maybe a week.

Just taking some clothes, camera kit and iPad so not a kitchen sink tour or anything.

Is it silly to try and push for going mid may as this is a veto good time to go from the point of view of weather and my summer plans (my only gap without weddings till September)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had 8 weeks off over the winter and have only done a handful of rides since, but 3 of them have been lumpy rides over 100 km in length and I'm doing a 100 mile ride tomorrow. If I can do it now, then there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to be ready to do a century ride in 6 weeks time, and a week off after that is plenty of time to recover before doing some touring. Go for it! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
D

david1701

I was promised away this morning, I'm gonna go and do some pushing hard training type stuff this afternoon though for 2 or so hours. Not great but a bit of a kick start

OP
OP
D

david1701

ridiculously I just pulled the bike out to go and get out for a few hours and realised where i had fitted new brake pads I had sat them high and they had worn through the tyres on braking. I realised this because the tube was outside the tyre on one patch :S I last rode the dammed thing yesterday

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
ridiculously I just pulled the bike out to go and get out for a few hours and realised where i had fitted new brake pads I had sat them high and they had worn through the tyres on braking. I realised this because the tube was outside the tyre on one patch :S I last rode the dammed thing yesterday

Better that you noticed it outside the garden shed, than half way down a steep hill. I suppose ;-)

jay clock

Massive member
Just been to Lanzarote for a week with my tri club. I have been doing a fair bit of training in Jan-Feb, but longest this year was 60km until I was in Lanza. Cycled every day inc a 120k hilly day and the full IM 183.5k. Admittedly unladen, but it is hugely hilly, so if you are an experienced cyclist doing 30-40 mile rides I think you will have no problem if you train a bit over the next few weeks

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I very nearly made the same mistake with my brakes. I'd done a lot of work on my bike before yesterday's 103 miler and got distracted before adjusting the brakes properly. Fortunately, I did a last minute bike check and spotted that the blocks were too high.

Getting back to preparation for a century ride ... I do suggest that you build up to yours more sensibly than I did for mine! I came home a battered hulk last night and am very sore today. :wacko:

OP
OP
D

david1701

I very nearly made the same mistake with my brakes. I'd done a lot of work on my bike before yesterday's 103 miler and got distracted before adjusting the brakes properly. Fortunately, I did a last minute bike check and spotted that the blocks were too high.

Getting back to preparation for a century ride ... I do suggest that you build up to yours more sensibly than I did for mine! I came home a battered hulk last night and am very sore today. :wacko:

:biggrin: 60, 80, 100 unladen then chuck the rack and guards back on and start riding with more weight should be ok.

Not so sure I'd call myself experienced though, especially after this rookie error

I'm guessing if you're based in Bude then your "relaxed" hilly rides are pretty hardcore! If it's any help last year I did my first 100km ride on a Wednesday and my first 100miler on the saturday - and I'm a somewhat curvaceous asthmatic. I'm sure you'll be fine! Only problem I find with very flat rides is the head winds - bloody fens are a nightmare!

OP
OP
D

david1701

I'm guessing if you're based in Bude then your "relaxed" hilly rides are pretty hardcore! If it's any help last year I did my first 100km ride on a Wednesday and my first 100miler on the saturday - and I'm a somewhat curvaceous asthmatic. I'm sure you'll be fine! Only problem I find with very flat rides is the head winds - bloody fens are a nightmare!

:biggrin: well the hills are pretty hardcore but I tend to use the slow gears on them...

My plan for a strong headwind is to ride to the nearest station and get on the bloody train :biggrin: I've no real experience of flat rides but riding into an atlantic gale along the only flat section of my commute is hard work.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
you will do it easilly. I think 100kms over hills is as hard as a flat 100 miler(provided wind is favourable ^_^) . Enjoy

Top Bottom