60 mile ride??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Unless the stop was for 5 minutes or for lunch break etc.
Then personally I would count as 2 rides ie If you did 55 then a full days work then another 5 then that's 2 rides.

But up to you.

In fact I would push to 62 miles as that is a metric century.

OP
OP
stephen.rooke

stephen.rooke

the 55 ride had a 5-10 stop to get a sandwich so i would count that as the ride, i would have done the extra few miles before stopping at work but started getting a little pain in my knee so thought best to stop

OP
OP
stephen.rooke

stephen.rooke

learnt from my ride today that i need to prepare better for long rides. didnt carry anything to eat with me and legs started to go before i got something quick to eat

OP
OP
stephen.rooke

stephen.rooke

pro
Easy mistake to make.
Keep munching and drinking on the go.
blem for me is im cycling to lose weight and dont want to be eating too much while riding. need to find a balance. hard when i dont know how many calories im burning, tried uploading my gpx tracks to different sites and they all give different answers

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
pro
blem for me is im cycling to lose weight and dont want to be eating too much while riding. need to find a balance. hard when i dont know how many calories im burning, tried uploading my gpx tracks to different sites and they all give different answers

Energy bars/bananas/Soreen etc and high 5 added to water.
Cycling distance your body needs food.
Go without and you will pay dearly for it.
Fuel yourself when on a ride and your riding will burn it up.

It's your food/calorie off the bike you need to control and find a balance for.
ie Alcohol, cut that out for a start. it's a killer.

OP
OP
stephen.rooke

stephen.rooke

Energy bars/bananas/Soreen etc and high 5 added to water.
Cycling distance your body needs food.
Go without and you will pay dearly for it.
Fuel yourself when on a ride and your riding will burn it up.

It's your food/calorie off the bike you need to control and find a balance for.
ie Alcohol, cut that out for a start. it's a killer.

dont drink lol. im eating healthier all round and ive lost around 2 1/2 stone in about 4 months

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
dont drink lol. im eating healthier all round and ive lost around 2 1/2 stone in about 4 months

Then you are well on your way. Well done that's very impressive..:thumbsup:
Just don't starve yourself when on a ride.

Col5632

Guru
Very impressive indeed :thumbsup:

I learned the hard way about not having enough to eat while doing a 72 mile ride, it was my greatest distance by some 17 miles but it was made so much harder by not taking enough fluids and food on board, we did stop at the 50 odd mile mark but i was past tired by then :sad:

gbb

Legendary Member
Its a 60 miler in my book :thumbsup:
We can get all technical about stop frequencies and times...the fact is you did 60 miles with a break, i dont think you'll find many here that dont take a break on longer rides..whether its for a bag of chips, a pint or a fry up or just a sit down and relax for 1/2 hour.
I did it the opposite way last week...59 miles, but stopped for 1/2 hour after two miles...yes...two miles :laugh:,
The logic...i was setting out to do some decent mileage , the wind direction meant i couldnt do my usual route with a cafe one hour in, so i set off in the opposite direction, thinking where could i stop later on ?.
2 miles in, i passed my old work where theyve a cafe open to the public. Be rude not to eh ? so it was bacon, egg, toast...etc etc etc.
Who gives a monkeys ? you did 60 miles :smile:

OP
OP
stephen.rooke

stephen.rooke

got some good weather so went out again today and did another 60 miles
http://app.strava.com/rides/10497836

on the bad side though i broke a tooth off the rear cog 2 miles before the end. so need to get a replacement now because the highest gear is completely unusable and means i've lost some top end speed.

i've adjusted the screws on the dérailleur so i don't Accidentally use that gear so can still ride for now

How do you guys go about carrying food with you on a ride? My cycling clothes have no pockets and my bike is already burdened with a pump, puncture repair kit and spare tube. Without food Im limited to about 30-35 miles and considerably less on the MTB.

Top Bottom