60.s build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnymak

I'm trying to get a 1962 build as close as possible to being original
The majority of parts are campagnolo

Parts like the stem handlebars are GB

The brakes are WEINMAN
Levers and calipers

I'm just thinking is there to many brands running on the BIULD or can any body suggest are more period braking system stem and bars to fit in with the rest of the campagnolo parts

Thanks in advance

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like you're doing pretty well as it is. Campag hubs, l/f or s/ f, on mavic rims were ace back then. Stronglight or Campag chain sets.
If you're trying to get close to a particular model look for the relevant catalogues of the time on line.

Campagnolo Nuovo Record brakes were available from 1968-69 onwards if you fancied going all-Campagnolo.

For alternatives, you can search by decade and component type on Velobase.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Johnymak

Johnymak

Campagnolo Nuovo Record brakes were available from 1968-69 onwards if you fancied going all-Campagnolo.

For alternatives, you can search by decade and component type on Velobase.

Good luck!

It's a 1962 fred pratt cant find any catalougues so I've gone off a 1962 general sales catalougue just didn't want to not get it right with the mix of components

Hardest and expensive part is finding a campag record rear mech as I believe nouvo wasnt about at this time

nonowt

Über Member
Mafac centre pulls could also work.

Before my time but from what I understand until the late 70s and the introduction of the 'groupset' idea, I don't think anyone would have worried about mixing brands. More about what worked and was affordable. A look at some 60s bikes on classic lightweights will provide some more options.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Mafac centre pulls could also work.

Before my time but from what I understand until the late 70s and the introduction of the 'groupset' idea, I don't think anyone would have worried about mixing brands. More about what worked and was affordable. A look at some 60s bikes on classic lightweights will provide some more options.
Yeah this^^^^

We bought what we could afford in order to build a bike up, then we later upgraded parts when we found better ones at the right price. A lot of components were bought second hand from other club members. Nobody in our club worried about mixing different brands. Obviously wheels were always a matched pair, as were brakes, but other than that anything went.

Top Bottom