60 years ago today......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
In a couple of months it's the centenary of Lenin's death. Now there's a politician who had an impact on the world.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The debate goes on whether he did it.

But little is mentioned about the police officer he shot in the head and killed on his way to the cinema. No doubt at all that he was a murderer.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Same here, I was about 18 months at the time

You oldster. You might also have had a tantrum when you heard the news. I was still limited to crying and pooping.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
4 months before I was born so naturally, I have zero recollection. Dad says the news was broken in the evening. A quick internet squint found:

On BBC television, the first announcement to air was made at GMT 7:05 PM by a junior and unfamiliar newsreader, John Roberts, just prior to the program Tonight. Tonight continued with its planned edition until around GMT 7:26 PM when Roberts returned to provide updates of Kennedy's critical condition. Shortly after on air he answered a phone call from BBC Monitoring which relayed news of the death of Kennedy as reported by the Voice of America. Roberts' countenance visibly changed and he announced to the audience, "We regret to announce that President Kennedy is dead," before bowing his head and not looking up. For the next 19 minutes the BBC screened its logo and a revolving globe, punctuated by three bulletins read by Roberts. BBC management then decided to revert back to regular programming, screening Here's Harry from GMT 7:45 PM, followed by Dr. Finlay's Casebook, a decision which attracted over 2,000 phone calls and 500 letters and telegrams in complaint.

Top Bottom