60 years ago today......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The headmaster at my school assembled all the boys and told us. His wife, a Catholic, was in tears. Rumours spread that it would mean a major confrontation with the USSR.

Then we went back to our football game.

rualexander

Legendary Member
I was 9 and watching TV alone, my parents were upstairs with my sister who was unwell. The news flash made a huge impression on me because just two years earlier during the Cuban missile crisis my dad put me to bed with the words "if you never say your prayers ever again, say them tonight". From then on I looked on JFK as some sort of hero. I have read and watched hundreds of accounts of the day and been fascinated by American politics ever since.

Fast forward to 2016 and my visit to the sixth floor museum in Dallas, walking down Elm St made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. I got very emotional standing on the Grassy Knoll. Standing at the window next to the sealed off window on the sixth floor I was struck with the thought why would any assassin choose to let the target get so far away before pulling the trigger. The limo was so long it slowed to almost a stop to turn the sharp corner right below the window then it accelerated down the hill as the crowd had thinned so much, then he fired three times? Makes no sense to me.

Cuban missile crisis was in October 1962 when I was one month old so only a year before assassination of JFK not two years.

a.twiddler

Veteran

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
JFK Junior was born on the 25th of November 1960, 10 days after I was born. I doubt he knew what'd happened to his dad and was told to salute his hearse as it passed by. I'd say this shot is one of the most poignant of the whole event. I can't remember the event, but I do remember his brother Bobby's assassination 5 years later.

john_kennedy_salute_1963_small.jpg

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
'Tis what looks like a book.

Yes I know. It was er my attempt at humour. :rolleyes:

Perhaps she was writing 'Tick....One down, four more to go', in reference to the Kennedy's ability to get themselves assassinated, die in accidents, or be involved in 'accidental' deaths! :whistle:

Last edited:
Top Bottom