65 Moulton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drzdave58

Über Member
I acquired this 65 Moulton today from an elderly gentleman who brought the bike over from Ireland to a Canada in 1965. It’s been in dry storage for 30 years so is in excellent condition.
IMG_3550.png

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I broke my arm after falling of one of those riding across a building site in my teens

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Throw it in a skip or mount it on a wall as an ornament, they are bloody awful............no wonder it has been in 'storage' for 30 years. I rode one back in the 70's and it was possibly the scariest experience in my life and I've been on a Raleigh 'Chopper'

OP
OP
Drzdave58

Drzdave58

Über Member
Throw it in a skip or mount it on a wall as an ornament, they are bloody awful............no wonder it has been in 'storage' for 30 years. I rode one back in the 70's and it was possibly the scariest experience in my life and I've been on a Raleigh 'Chopper'

Completely disagree. I’ve owned 8 or 9 of them. I have rode them in original condition as well as with upgraded components. They ride nicely for scooting around town. I don’t know what’s so scary about them. I suspect the one u rode was in poor mechanical condition. Any bike like that can be scary to ride. This bike will be completely disassembled and cleaned. New tires and proper setup will provide a perfectly comfortable ride. This blue one for example I had set up with an 8 speed rear hub and other upgraded components road as good as any bike for its purpose.
IMG_2434.jpeg

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Completely disagree. I’ve owned 8 or 9 of them. I have rode them in original condition as well as with upgraded components. They ride nicely for scooting around town. I don’t know what’s so scary about them. I suspect the one u rode was in poor mechanical condition. Any bike like that can be scary to ride. This bike will be completely disassembled and cleaned. New tires and proper setup will provide a perfectly comfortable ride. This blue one for example I had set up with an 8 speed rear hub and other upgraded components road as good as any bike for its purpose.
View attachment 693386

Well that's a waste of a Brooks :whistle:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.

I have never had the chance to ride one.
Although the Brompton seemed very sketchy to ride before I got used to the different handling of a small wheeled bike.

OP
OP
Drzdave58

Drzdave58

Über Member
Just shows how different we all are

Having different tastes in bicycles is fine and I respect that completely. Some people dont like small wheeled bikes.They just take a bit of time to get used to. Raleigh nut basing his ride impressions on one ride back in the 70s is ridiculous. His remark about the Brooks saddle is simply vexatious. To form an accurate opinion on how a bicycle rides and handles requires some time IMO.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Just shows how different we all are

I'm not :whistle:

OP
OP
Drzdave58

Drzdave58

Über Member
I have finished the rebuild on this 65 Moulton. Silver powdercoat frame. I painted the mudguards and rear rack myself. New tires, grips and cables. I found a nice vintage Wrights saddle locally which I gave a thorough cleaning , redye black , leather conditioner which turned out nice. Got the gears dialed in and took it for its first ride. I’m quite pleased with how this bike turned out.
IMG_3570.jpeg

IMG_3565.jpeg

IMG_3566.jpeg

IMG_3567.jpeg

IMG_3568.jpeg

Last edited:
I think that's brilliant!

As to those who don't like Moultons, bless you but you are wrong. I've ridden those early ones and they are great mileaters but you do need to have decent technique - stamp on the pedals like a stupid kid riding one across a building site and you won't get them. I have never toured on one but I'd like the chance.

That's a really lovely example. Congratulations on a great restoration. How about a front rack?

My brother and I were each given one in 1965 as teenagers. After a couple of months the stem on his bike snapped clean off when he was riding on the road: he went over the handlebars and got more than a few cuts and grazes including his face but nothing worse. Moulton replaced the bike. No litigation considered of course because no-one did back then.

Mine lasted 30-40 years, and got some hard use. Moultons were a nice concept, and good to ride but were let down by very poor components eg brakes, cables, cheap chrome etc. I see you have the original rear forks (rounded in cross section). Many of them developed a worrying crack on the under side, and Moulton issued what would now be called a 'Recall' in the car world. The new forks had a rectangular cross section.

Until I rode my son's Brompton I'd forgotten that the steering took a bit of getting used to because of the small wheels, but it was fine once you got the hang of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom