65 Moulton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drzdave58

Drzdave58

Über Member
That's a really lovely example. Congratulations on a great restoration. How about a front rack?

My brother and I were each given one in 1965 as teenagers. After a couple of months the stem on his bike snapped clean off when he was he was riding on the road: he went over the handlebars and got more than a few cuts and grazes including his face but nothing worse. Moulton replaced the bike. No litigation considered of course because no-one did back then.

Mine lasted 30-40 years, and got some hard use. Moultons were a nice concept, and good to ride but were let down by very poor components eg brakes, cables, cheap chrome etc. I see you have the original rear forks (rounded in cross section). Many of them developed a worrying crack on the under side, and Moulton issued what would now be called a 'Recall' in the car world. The new forks had a rectangular cross section.

Until I rode my son's Brompton I'd forgotten that the steering took a bit of getting used to because of the small wheels, but it was fine once you got the hang of it.

Thank you. This one didn’t come with a front rack. The rear forks are reinforced, I think they are called series 2 forks. I’ve refurbished 8 or 9 of these bikes over the last 6 years and only 2 had cracks underneath the rear forks which I had repaired. I only use them for short rides around town. Great for going to the outdoor markets. I love their design and enjoy fixing them up and and giving them a new life for someone to enjoy. Where I live people have never seen a Moulton so the reactions I get to it are very interesting. Even modern bikes these days have parts that can snap and break. It all depends on how u ride it. For a 58 year old bike the chrome still looks great, new brake pads stop the bike good enough and the frame is still sound, providing for an enjoyable ride. New modern components can be fitted as well like many people have done.

dicko

Guru
I bought mine for around £34 in 1963 brand new to get me to my fist job and to take my fishing tackle in the evening and at weekends. Mine was the Moulton Standard three speed Sturmy Archer.

Top Bottom