650B / 27.5" Wheels - Are they a Pain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Hi all,

I'm looking at a cheap-ish commuter bike for short runs to the station. It's hard to see past the Carrera Subways, but the 27.5" wheel size is giving me pause.

I'd want mudguards and a rack on the bike, and anticipate having to replace tyres fairly frequently with something relatively p* protected. How much of a pain is this (to me) unusual size when it comes to sourcing tyres, mudguards, replacement wheels &c &c?

Tim Hall

Wiggle, taking a supplier at random, has 77 hits for 27.5" tyre. It's not that unusual a size anymore.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
27.5 is becoming more mainstream now so finding the items you mention shouldn’t be a problem. The tyres as supplied are likely to budget items so replacing them early on might be a necessity as you say.

Chris S

Legendary Member
650B tyres actually fit a 584mm rim, they were once a common size on French bikes. There's no shortage of them on ebay.

A 650B tyre on a rim can be about the same diameter as a 700C rim without one (584+38=622) so they're ideal for the shorter rider.

Last edited:

Chris S

Legendary Member
You're right, it's +35 all around the rim.
I wondered how people managed to get 700C wheels in 650A forks. There only has to be a spare 16mm between the tyre top and the fork crown, even less if you use thinner tyres.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
When Mrs ND bought her Subway, Halfords couldn't sell her any spare inner tubes for it as they were "the most shoplifted item in the shop" - clearly in demand!
Not had a problem sourcing them elsewhere though.

Top Bottom