650b tube convert to tubless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sunbeam

Regular
Hi,

I bought my daughter a cheapish 650b MTB today. I trided to convert it to tubless but failed to get the tyre to blow onto the rim beds to seal the tyre ready for 'goop'.

In a nutshel, the tyre was way to lose on the rim to get any sort of slight seal that the compressor could push against. The air just flooded out as quick as it went in.

I ended up fitting the tube back on and putting 'goop' in the innertube :-) at least she has a degree of puncture protection now :-)

Question, could her tyre be tube only and simply does not have a small enough bead or maybe the wheel not right?

Thanks.

Yes. Not all tyres are suitable for tubeless. If it doesn't say UST or Tubeless Ready, then it wasn't designed for that and it could be very, very difficult to make it seal. You could use something like a Stan's tubeless rim strip to compensate for the lack of soft rubber on the bead but that is difficult to work with and generally, you have to scrap the strip and use a new one with the second tyre.

What tyre is it?

Did you remove the valve core when you used the compressor? With the core you wont get enough airflow to pop the bead in position.

Did yo use soapy water?

Did you have an assistant to help you? You cannot do it alone unless you have some sort of jig to hold the wheel off the floor and let you rotate it.

How did you seal the rim spoke holes?

Jody

Stubborn git
I had a similar problem trying to set up tubeless on my standard rims. To get it sorted I removed the core, stuck and air duster attachment in and let rip with the air whilst pressing the tyre towards the rim in various places around the rim. Took about 20 seconds until I got a momentary seal which let the tyre inflate. Be careful wit a compressor though as it went to full 50-60 psi inflation in a split second. Once the Brad had seated I put stans in through the valve core and they stayed inflated with no issues for 18+ months.

OP
OP
Sunbeam

Sunbeam

Regular
Thank you for your help.

The tyres are Schwalbe Smart Sam 650b

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/..._dc|pcrid|161846649820|pkw||pmt||prd|566187UK

They came as standard on her bike. I did all the normal stuff like, use compressor, remove valve, soppy water, helper etc. The issue seems to be that the tyre is a little large in diameter. As soon as the inner tube is deflated, the tyre falls off the wheel bead, makes the tyre super easy to take off and refit, but hard to blow it on the rim as it is so loose.

So I guess, I'll need to find a tyre that lends it's self to tube less :-)

Jody

Stubborn git
The ones I used were Nobby Nics. They were also very baggy on the rim so needed some manipulation to inflate. They also popped back off the rim on deflation but once I knew they would inflate it was just repeating the same with fluid in. Once they were up I had no issues and wore the tyres out before they next needed to come off the rims.

Top Bottom