7-7-2010 52opm Bristol psycho driver on phone in Black Golf

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hello

not a cyclist, but i hope the cyclist concerned sees this- is the first site that came up on google for 'Bristol cycling forum'

anyway, here goes-

approx 520pm in slow moving traffic on road between Airbus and Southmead Hospital, Bristol. Guy on a bike, lots of orange clothing and backpack, nearly sideswiped by Black Golf, biker takes evasive action and manages to stop, has words with driver about his being on the phoen and not looking, points out that it's illegal; rides on a few yards. Guy in Golf then drives AT the biker, at speed, only just missing him, has a shout and gets out of his car; biker wisely hightails it on pavement and rides off to avoid injury

me: ?

i was in the car behind, and i now have a photo showing the offending car, the registration number and the *missing wing mirror* (which is part of why he didn't see the biker i guess. arse)

happy to be a witness, this started as very bad driving and then became attempted assault. Am hoping the biker concerned will tell their friends and someone will maybe see this

cheers
Dave

mark barker

Good of you to post on here...

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
No doubt someone will be along to point out that you were illegally using your phone to take that photo, unless you had stopped your engine (or weren't driving)...

Oh, that was me. :sad:;)

Hopefully someone will be along to ask for more details and together you can report the idiot. As has been said, good of you to come on here and post about it.

OP
OP
C

concernedmotorist

: ) yep, i was stopped, stationary, handbrake on, while the incident was kicking off, getting my phone and finding the camera setting; pity i am such a luddite or i would have film of the Golf driver trying to ram the poor bloke on the bike :sad:

Crankarm

Guru
concernedmotorist said:
: ) yep, i was stopped, stationary, handbrake on, while the incident was kicking off, getting my phone and finding the camera setting; pity i am such a luddite or i would have film of the Golf driver trying to ram the poor bloke on the bike ;)

As far as I am aware you can still report the incident as you have witnessed offences, quite serious, being committed. There may well be CCTV that has captured what has happened. I would report it.

OP
OP
C

concernedmotorist

yep, already done that on web form to local cops, but it'll get nowewhre if the biker doesn't report it too; as he is the one who saw the guy on the phone- i was behind, so all i saw was the road rage (which was bad enough)

Crankarm

Guru
concernedmotorist said:
yep, already done that on web form to local cops, but it'll get nowewhre if the biker doesn't report it too; as he is the one who saw the guy on the phone- i was behind, so all i saw was the road rage (which was bad enough)

Maybe, maybe not ......

Why not ring up plod and speak to some one? Then you can convey the severity of the incident.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Crankarm said:
Maybe, maybe not ......

Why not ring up plod and speak to some one? Then you can convey the severity of the incident.

+1

State how threatening the driver was being, they might do a press release to find the cyclist for a complaint. Never the less, enough for a 'wind your neck in' visit from a traffic bobby based on your word.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Not me anyway... but I will mention to others anyway. It might be worth keeping an eye out for him if it is your regular commute, as it might be their commute too. If the back pack was orange and yellow then there are literally hundreds of those having been handed out free at many of the cycling events and through employers such as Rolls Royce.

joebingo

Über Member
concernedmotorist said:
hello

cheers
Dave
Much respect to you Dave, not many people would have bothered to do what you've done about what you've witnessed, so nice one!

As others have said, it might be worth ringing the Police to follow this one up - try to speak to someone who works in traffic if you can. Aiming a car at someone is a pretty serious offence, let alone getting out of the car, presumably with the intention of taking it further.

adds21

Rider of bikes
BentMikey said:
Most impressed with you making this much effort, concernedmotorist! Thank you very much!

+1. Things like this make my day (err, obviously not the event itself, but the fact that someone can be bothered to follow it up). I shall check with the (few) people I know who commute in North Bristol.

Nice one.

OP
OP
C

concernedmotorist

cheers for all the feedback; the incident really p*ssed me off, and i am not a biker (i fall off the things, it being a balance issue) - but if the guy had hit the biker we'd be looking at attempted murder i think, thus the impetus to do somethign about it- horrible behaviour- i'm looking at gettng this out on other forums, thanks all!

Dave

OP
OP
C

concernedmotorist

incident ref number if the rider happens by here:

“Thank you for reporting this incident to us, I have logged it under ref AS-20100707-1140 This has been passed to your local officers for their information, however if you wish to report this it will need to be done at a police station as a statement will need to be taken. Any further questions, please contact 0845 456 7000 or reply to this email. Regards Avon and Somerset Police”

Top Bottom