7 speed cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I have an old Viking Racing Pro bike that I use on my turbo - it`s a 7 speed job. The back wheel is absolutely goosed and needs replacing. Luckily, I have an even older Viking Giro d`Italia again 7 speed with it`s back wheel intact and in relatively good condition. Now, given that both bikes are Vikings and both are 7 speed, can I just swap the back wheels on the bikes?

I can`t actually read what`s on the Racing Pro as the writing has worn away but I do know the cassette on the Giro is a MF TZ21

Sorry if it`s a really basic question!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Probably, but will depend on the OLN (over lock nut) distance being the same. Distance between rear dropouts - probably 126mm.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Check the type of cassette - some older bikes had the uniglide type of cassette - this uses the outer sprocket as a lockring - modern 7spd cassettes have the standard lockring

Tim Hall

Check the type of cassette - some older bikes had the uniglide type of cassette - this uses the outer sprocket as a lockring - modern 7spd cassettes have the standard lockring
But isn't the OP swapping the whole wheel out? So it shouldn't make a difference. FWIW, the MF TZ21 is a freewheel not a casette anyway.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Soon see , if the wheel fits in its liable to be the same, maybe a tweak on the barrel adjuster to dial in the gear shifts because even if the wheels are the same they might sit slightly different

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Yeah, I would be swapping the whole wheel, was hoping I could do that without affecting the chain. I'm not too worried how it looks as it won't be going anywhere, just stuck on the turbo!

Top Bottom