7 Speed Hyperglide Removal

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by cycleman, 22 Aug 2012.

1. cycleman

cycleman Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have removed a 7 speed hyperglide cassette from the26 inch wheel and noticed that the 'alignment spline' on freehub has about a millimetre of play.

Do I need a new wheel?

Kind Regards

cycleman

2. rusty bearing

rusty bearing Über Member

If you mean there's a bit of lateral play in the cassette on the freehub then that should disappear when you've torqued up the lockring. Is that right?

3. OP
    OP
    cycleman

Hi, no the actual spline http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperglide on the freehub is a little loose when the cassette is taken off & it shouldn't have any movement at all.

4. Drago

Drago Guru

Take the cassette off and you can tighten it.

5. lpretro1

lpretro1 Guest

To tighten up the freehub body you will need to remove the axle in order to get a very large (10mm-12mm depending upon hub make) allen key in to do so. Usually this is inserted via drive side but some it is from non-drive side. If it is already tight then the little tiny bearings in the freehub body are knackered and you'll need to replace the freehub body - you'd need to identify which fitting it is as there are several different ones.

6. OP
    OP
    cycleman

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have looked into this further and I know I need a large allen key 10mm. I will buy a new freehub if necessary.

7. rusty bearing

rusty bearing Über Member

Sorry, misunderstood what you were getting at. lpretro has given you the chapter and verse answer.

8. OP
    OP
    cycleman

No worries, and thanks Ipetro

cycleman

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice