7 Speed Hyperglide Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycleman

Hi,

I have removed a 7 speed hyperglide cassette from the26 inch wheel and noticed that the 'alignment spline' on freehub has about a millimetre of play.

Do I need a new wheel?

Kind Regards

cycleman

If you mean there's a bit of lateral play in the cassette on the freehub then that should disappear when you've torqued up the lockring. Is that right?

lpretro1

To tighten up the freehub body you will need to remove the axle in order to get a very large (10mm-12mm depending upon hub make) allen key in to do so. Usually this is inserted via drive side but some it is from non-drive side. If it is already tight then the little tiny bearings in the freehub body are knackered and you'll need to replace the freehub body - you'd need to identify which fitting it is as there are several different ones.

OP
OP
C

cycleman

To tighten up the freehub body you will need to remove the axle in order to get a very large (10mm-12mm depending upon hub make) allen key in to do so. Usually this is inserted via drive side but some it is from non-drive side. If it is already tight then the little tiny bearings in the freehub body are knackered and you'll need to replace the freehub body - you'd need to identify which fitting it is as there are several different ones.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have looked into this further and I know I need a large allen key 10mm. I will buy a new freehub if necessary.

Top Bottom