7 speed to 8 speed

• Thread starter Deleted member 41544
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 41544

I had a cheap bike that got me started in road biking it was just 7 speed with thumb shifters, i then bought a bike to build up and used as a donor bike for the cheap bike, so swapped from 7 speed shifters and 7 speed cassette to 8 speed shifters with an 8 speed cassette, the cassette came already fitted to some wheels I bought second hand off e bay, I have kept the 7 speed derailleur on as it was nearly new. I have set the limit screws and fit the cable but I can't for the life of me get it shifting right. it will shift fine when I set it up at home but once out on the road the gears are very un-responsive and poorly indexed, any ideas anyone??

Drago

Legendary Member
Make? Model of each component?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

I think the shiters are claris or similar and the derailluer is low end A050

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

They're not very old probably had about 3 months use last year then been in shed, I have changed the cables too but wasn't very careful when doing it. I'm thinking now it would be a cheapish option to go all new cables and outers for the rear shifter and set it up again?? the bike is never going to be a great bike so don't want to spend much on it, but when the gears work its pretty good for getting fit and gets up hills without killing me

KneesUp

Guru
Worth a go. You need non-compressible outers - and they're a sod to cut. I take the old ones to the LBS and get him to cut them to length for me.

The 'complete cable kits' sometimes have compressible outers for gears and brakes.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

A sod to cut as in you need ridiculously sharp cable cutters?

Tim Hall

A sod to cut as in you need ridiculously sharp cable cutters?
You need a decent pair of cable cutters, not necessarily ridiculously sharp. Draper do "non bike" ones, like this. Look for blades that overlap, rather than hit against each other.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Worth a go. You need non-compressible outers - and they're a sod to cut. I take the old ones to the LBS and get him to cut them to length for me.

The 'complete cable kits' sometimes have compressible outers for gears and brakes.
Indeed i have used cheap outers and can end up sticking something in the end to open them out again when you cut them.
good move to claris , i have claris on my commuter and i like them and a claris mch can be had cheap enough.
You will probably need new cables + outers anyway as i assuming the thumb shifters were on the stem so you will need extra cable length to reach the shifters.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

So I'll try new cables and outers. any other advice?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

I feed an old cable into the inner before cutting, makes life easier when trying to put the new cable in.

That's a good idea!!

The fact that it's a 7 speed rear derrailleur won't make a difference will it?

MisterStan

Label Required
Not to the cables! :okay:

As 6, 7 and 8 speed use the same sized chain, I would think that means the same pull ratio; as you mentioned using the limit screws i'd say you'll be fine.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

so after closer inspection it seems the shifter only does 7 clicks but it did come off an 8 speed bike! is the shifter buggered?

Top Bottom