700 x 38c tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChristinaJL

After many years of cycling I finally got a puncture at the weekend. :biggrin: I've not had one on the specialized bike which has specialized all condition 700 x 23c tyres. This was on my Dawes karakum with Schwalbe Silento II 700x38c tyres. I'm hoping that this is a one off, does anyone else have experience with these tyres?

Was wondering about changing to another sort of tyre if this keeps happening. Can anyone suggest something suitable as I'd like to have a spare set of tyres anyway, but there are so many tyres out there to choose from - or is there a wider version of the specialized tyre?? :smile:

Thanks!!
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

My Hybrid has conti cotacts (700x37c) Touch wood I've only hat 1 p'ture when it was about 3 months old, I've had none in the 6000mls since. Thats' maybe just me though, touch wood I don't p'ture much in general. Schwalbe tyres seem to have a good name on here to.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
ChristinaJL said:
After many years of cycling I finally got a puncture at the weekend. :blush: I've not had one on the specialized bike which has specialized all condition 700 x 23c tyres. This was on my Dawes karakum with Schwalbe Silento II 700x38c tyres. I'm hoping that this is a one off, does anyone else have experience with these tyres?

Was wondering about changing to another sort of tyre if this keeps happening. Can anyone suggest something suitable as I'd like to have a spare set of tyres anyway, but there are so many tyres out there to choose from - or is there a wider version of the specialized tyre?? :biggrin:

Thanks!!

You state after many years of cycling you finally got a puncture. Why do you wish to change?

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

Gerry Attrick said:
You state after many years of cycling you finally got a puncture. Why do you wish to change?

because after many years of no punctures on other tyre brands, I start using Schwalbe and then get a puncture. :girl:

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

HLaB said:
Schwalbe tyres seem to have a good name on here to.

I've mended the 2 rather large holes that were in the inner tube, so we'll see how the schwalbe tyres go. If they keep puncturing, then I'll buy some specialized tyres or another brand to try. :girl:

g00se

Veteran
2 holes? Were they close together, across the tube rather than along? If so, sounds like a pinch puncture which would suggest the tyre pressure was too low or you hit a curb/pothole too fast (though that tends to happen more on road tyres than big hybrids).

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

g00se said:
2 holes? Were they close together, across the tube rather than along?

Actually they were like that. I'm pretty sure I didn't hit any potholes, but maybe I shouldn't have cycled over a cattle grid at 26mph? :smile:

Tyre pressure was ok, I pumped the tyres up before leaving home to their max.

Bandini

I have a Karakum, and had no problems with the tyres so far. Hit a few pot holes very fast the other day as a I shot down a hill and a bull terrier (called 'Phillip' - unless the owner was shouting for her husband!) chased me, I hit quite a few biggies at a fair wack, but it seemed preferable to the snarling Phillip, who was hot on my heels. He eventually turned and fled when I hit the other hill and I realised he was catching up - I remembered advice on here and swung a foot at him hard whilst shouting obscenities as loud as I could! He went scampering off in the other direction.

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

I saw you'd been on a nice little tour with the karakum, Bandini!! xx( I love my karakum, great for steep hills, although I'm not that fast the bike can crawl up 25% gradients!! I'll persevere with the tyres for a bit then and see how they go.

Dog sounds scary. ;)

Top Bottom