700c disc wheelset for Boardman Hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I had to try to find a new rear wheel for my Boardman Performance Hybrid Comp at the start of the year. It seemed like it was a pain trying to find wheels. I noticed that Halfords did 700c rim/disc compatible wheels so I thought I'd give it a try. They worked perfectly, although they don't come with rim tape, are pretty heavy and I'm not sure how robust the hubs would be, spoke tensions seemed to be all over the place but the wheel did run true which is something I guess. In the end I kept it as an "emergency" wheel, but I ended up rebuilding my rear wheel myself using a Shimano Deore M525 Disc hub, which has an OverLockNut dimension of 135mm. It's as good as exactly the same dimensions as the OEM forumla hub so I was able to re-use the spokes etc, so the rebuild was reasonably straightforward and worked out cheap.

The Boardman Performance Hybrid Comp does have a 135mm rear drop-out spacing
Cheers Steve, much appreciated :thumbsup:

The LBS managed to get my wheel 98% straight, but the rim was so bent I've now got some really tight spokes and some really slack ones apparently.... On that basis, and given that the Marathon Winters are back on, my thinking is to keep my existing Boardman wheels as backup/winter wheels and invest in another set. I don't want to spend a fortune, just enough to get "better" – i.e. stronger, lighter and more durable (although to paraphrase a certain song, two out of that three wouldn't be bad!)

Steve Saunders

The Shimano Deore M525 Disc hub I used runs smoother than the OEM forumla freehub from the Boardman wheels, and it seems to make the bike go a bit quicker as a result - though that might be because it's no longer got worn out grit filled bearings causing friction.

Cheers Steve, much appreciated :thumbsup:

The LBS managed to get my wheel 98% straight, but the rim was so bent I've now got some really tight spokes and some really slack ones apparently.... On that basis, and given that the Marathon Winters are back on, my thinking is to keep my existing Boardman wheels as backup/winter wheels and invest in another set. I don't want to spend a fortune, just enough to get "better" – i.e. stronger, lighter and more durable (although to paraphrase a certain song, two out of that three wouldn't be bad!)
I have a couple of spare wheels for my old Boardman sat at home. The rear hub exploded - but other than that the're OK. Was going to keep then around for spares as I've now got a CX - but am happy to send you the front/rear wheel so you can canabolise the rim if you only need one good one? Wouldn't be after anything for it other than you covering the postage!

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I have a couple of spare wheels for my old Boardman sat at home. The rear hub exploded - but other than that the're OK. Was going to keep then around for spares as I've now got a CX - but am happy to send you the front/rear wheel so you can canabolise the rim if you only need one good one? Wouldn't be after anything for it other than you covering the postage!
Thanks SD, that's a very kind offer and much appreciated – PM coming your way :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
can I ask where from? I've a disc shod commuter & the wheels are 'disappointing' Thanks.
Found them on eBay: here's the link... I've still not decided whether to go for them or not, and am waiting confirmation from the seller as to whether or not they come with rim tape, and if they are drilled for schrader or presta.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
You find quite a few more options for 700c disc wheels searching for '29er' and 'cx' wheels. I have a Mavic A319/Deore525 on the front of my hybrid, its been fine so far under the strains of a fat bloke and disc brakes :smile:

I wanted to add though that I read the disc rim widths are different to road rims in terms of rim to tyre width, because of them being differently shaped. If you look at Mavic's docs the 19mm rims are rated for something like 30-50mm tyres (I'm using 40mm anyway), I have no idea how far you can stray from that, but just suggesting you double check if you need to :smile:

Top Bottom