700c disk brake wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My rear hub is on its way out. Wheel has done the best part of 10,000 care free miles so owes me very little.
It needs to have the following:
size - 700c
type - disk brake
cassette - 10 speed
tyres - 25mm - 28
It's for my all weather commute bike so needs at least 28 spokes.
Anything around the £150 would be nice.
I guess there must some good cyclo cross wheels out there?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/products/wheels/crosslight-cxdisc Only seem to come as a pair, when I looked around last year true 135mm 700c there was not that many around, I was advised to go hand built or 29er

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Since you've got disc brakes, could you get/could you put the existing rim onto a new hub ?
There shouldn't be any rim wear.

FWIW, my highest mileage hubs are Royce (kerching) followed by Hope (smaller kerching) and XT (bargain !).

XT hub with a decent set of spokes and your current rim would be relatively cheap :smile:.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
IMO handbuilts are definitely the way to go. Are your hubs 135mm OLN or the road 130mm size? I would be disappointed with only 10k out of any hub but expect to service the hubs I now have for the first time around 10-15k. They are currently on 6k and running as good as new :smile:

I built the equivalent to a quite high spec 700c MTB wheel (some would call them 29r wheels :stop:) for my hybrid with 135mm rear hub. I build my own wheels but I don't claim to be an expert so any competent wheel builder should be able to get the same results as me?

The spec I followed cost £150 in parts.

Shimano XT M756 hubs (black) 32H/Fr and 36H/Rr
32 x DT Competition spokes for the front
36 x DT Alpine III spokes for the rear (thicker at the hub end)
Mavic TN317 700c MTB rims

I thought I had used the same spokes front and rear but my memory must be playing tricks on me as I just checked an old post and found I posted the above. I went overkill on the rear wheel as I ride a lot with a heavily loaded pannier on the back :sweat:

Since I built these wheels I haven't had to touch them (or clean them :whistle:) and they are still as true and smooth as the day they were born. I'm not sure if the rims might be a bit wide for your choice of tyres, I am running 35C rubber and I suspect I could get away with 28C if I wanted to?

As has already been suggested, you could always just have your existing rim rebuilt with new hub and spokes?

My wheels wouldn't be out of place on a high-end 29r MTB :ninja:

tuffty

I needed a 135 OLD / disc-compatible wheel as a spare for use on the turbo recently and it was a nightmare trying to track one down. My LBS eventually got me a Shimano RX05 which fits nicely. Only ridden on the turbo so can't comment on road use, but it seems sturdy and spins ok. £85 I think I paid for a rear only so might be a bit cheap for what you are looking for.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'll second DCR Wheels. He will build you any combination of hub spoke rim and braking surface that suits your application. and he will build it great. Since @ianrauk recommended him to me three friends/colleagues have used him on my recc. and are delighted.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Thanks for all the replies.
I measured the space between the drop outs last night, if I measured correctly it was 130mm not 135mm. I guess hand built is the way to go?
I was measuring the internal gap, from the inside of each drop out, is that correct?.

Top Bottom