700c Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chappy

Guru
Morning all can anyone tell me what excatly 700c wheels are

I no that 26" wheels refers to the diameter of the wheel but what about 700c. :biggrin:

Cheers

hubgearfreak

Über Member
you'll have to read this..... http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

:biggrin:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
622 is the bead diameter - that's 700 C tyres. 18mm is rim width, and you want somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 times that. What size tyres did it have on? I'd say 700C by 28mm or so should do nicely.

TheDoctor said:
622 is the bead diameter - that's 700 C tyres. 18mm is rim width, and you want somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 times that. What size tyres did it have on? I'd say 700C by 28mm or so should do nicely.

Hi,

Thanks doc!

It is starting to make sense now... My front wheel is slightly narrower than my new rear wheel. As such Whilst I can fit my Marathon plus tyre to my rear wheel (tyre is 700x25) it wont go onto the rim at the front wheel. It is basically to narrow as far as I can work out.

So I need to invest in a new wheel for my front wheel.

So what wheel should I invest in to fit a quality trek 1400 frame (purchased Aug 2003).

whilst there is nothing wrong with my rear wheel, should I get a sturdy pair for the commute to work (approx 22 round trip).

I would not have a clue on how to swap my rear sprockets over.

Any advice?

Adrian

I've just fitted a pair of Schwalbe Stelvio Plus tyres 700x23 and love em!

The Stelvios are a lot quicker than the previous tyres I had, Specialized All Condition Armadillos in 28mm, but there is no loss in comfort. You also get the same Smartguard puncture protection as in the Marathon Plus.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
TheDoctor said:
Marathon Plus tyres are reputed to be a bit of a sod to fit. Maybe get the local bike shop (LBS) to do it?

Absolutely. This thread is of interest to me as someday I'm thinking of getting rid of the horrific thing - perhaps stelvios, perhaps something thinner.

Do you use them for commuting?

Adrian

Yes I do.

They are considered as a 'racing tyre' but the smartguard protection provides a nice 'cushion' so the ride isn't so harsh. I think they're a great balance of speed and protection.

I did consider the Michelin Pro Race 2's or 3's which are highly recommended for their speed but decided to maybe sacrifice a bit of speed for the extra protection due to the crappy roads in London!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor
Marathon Plus tyres are reputed to be a bit of a sod to fit. Maybe get the local bike shop (LBS) to do it?

Absolutely. This thread is of interest to me as someday I'm thinking of getting rid of the horrific thing - perhaps stelvios, perhaps something thinner.

I had Marathon Plus tyres on my previous mountain bike with 26" wheels and they were a real pain to get on... couldn't do it without using tyre levers, which was risky, but managed to get away with!

I didn't fit the Stelvios myself as the LBS offered to do it for no extra charge... so being a lazy git that I am, I let them do it. I did ask whether they'd be as difficult to fit as the marathon plus' but they advised the Stelvios were a lot easier... only time will tell when I have to take the tyre off for myself!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Sapper said:
Right..

Help please...

I have a trek 1400 (5 years old) and I need soem new resistant puncture tyres...

What size tyre and brand will I need to replace my tyres. The wheels seem to be 18x622

Any advice appreciated please

Adrian

Try Conti GatorSkins, a good tyre for fast commuting...

TheDoctor said:

I did, in Friern Barnet. Not Shorter Rochford but a local shop. For free.

I was able to watch them as well...

Obviously ensuring the tread was on the right way, the chap used a toe clip strap to start the tyre, fixing it so that it was unable to pop out. When he did that, it was a very simple process to push, work the trye behind the brim...

Adrian

Top Bottom