700c vs 27 -1/4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gilespargiter

Veteran
I think their are some mistaken aprehensions going on here about frame geometry. Pretty much since the middle fifties or even probably before, but certainly since tubular construction of "safety bicycles" became the norm - as it still is. Due to the size and shape of humans and the consistent variation in the way different frame types behave, "Racing" type frames always have had steep angles and short wheelbases. Limited by the wheel contacting the seat tube at the back and the down tube at the front, with no "toe clip" clearance (which of course is a serious disadvantage for rough stuff). One of the reasons for settling between 26" and 27" wheels as the most practical, allowing also for pedal to ground clearance and the best length of cranks for ordinary humans.
To preserve this geometry smaller people may find smaller wheels better, even using 24" in some cases.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I have to stick with 27" wheels on my Corso bicycle, as it is the only bicycle for which I have Campagnolo hubs and Fiamme rims in clincher mode.(I have 2 wheelsets in much the same configuation, but they are 700c Tubs made for an Olmo racing bike I have, which has a damaged frame. I shall have to fix this myself, due to lack of framebuilders anywhere near me, So I'll get all studied up on brazing again.)

OP
OP
Johnymak

Johnymak

As long as the wheel is not too 'gaudy' with decals etc then I'd use 700c if the brakes can be sorted simply for tyre choice. My old Carlton has 27" wheels but the supply of 7/8" wide tyres has dried up.

This is something I'm finding , I'm finding it hard to find a 27 ,1.1/4 gumwall tyre with a smooth radial tread , any recomendations

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I liked 27" but it was never an international size and those dastardly French were better at promoting 700c (which really was 700mm once...with a great fat tyre...29er is nothing new). Not worth pursuing now; just get longer-drop brakes. GC700 centrepulls work well for massive reach.

carpenter

Über Member
I have tried them once very nice but i don't think they are worth the extra cost

I have Schwable HS159 on a couple of bikes and Panaracer pacelas PT on another - different bikes but I am sure the Panaracer are more comfortable/more cushioned (who needs suspension? steel frame and Panaracers seem to absorb a lot of bumps in the road!).
I think the Panaracers have quite thin sidewalls which flex more.

Although the price difference is a big concern, just hope they last well.

Last edited:

dbeattie

Über Member
20181026_110701.jpg
I'm using these on the Pennine.

Top Bottom