700c vs 27 -1/4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnymak

Ive just got a set of 27 1/4 wheels for my 60s biuld
However it's a small frame and the bike seems as though Would look better with 700.s

The rear hub spacing is 130mm

I know at the time 60.s 27.s were the norm wheel
But I have read that 700.c tubular was maybe used for high end racing bikes
What's the views on using 700.s on a 60s biuld or dhould I just stick with 27.s

Attachments

• 20181006_181011.jpg
    20181006_181011.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 111

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
27" for me , i just feel they give a better ride and these tyres are good https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/g...onid=a08d74eb6ef58b816ddc11054087ccde16b1fb5b

OP
OP
Johnymak

Johnymak

Tubs and sprints were 700c so a skinny modern 700c shouldn't look out of place. It's the brake drop that might be the decider :smile:

Yes @midlife I did think about the caliper drop but after measuring both my 700c and 27s drop I could get away with certainly a long drop my main concern was running 700.s on a 60.s bike

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
For practicality and a wide choice of puncture-resistant tyres, for me it has to be 700c rather than 27". The size difference is only 5/16" of an inch on the diameter anyway.
Now when it comes to 26" road/roadster vs 27" road, there is the argument that on a smaller frame, a 26" wheel gives better aesthetics and doesn't require odd geometry compromises (small frames often have different head & seat angles to exactly the same model in a larger size). Just to muddy the waters, my most comfortable riding bike is a gas pipe 3-speed running 26" x 1 3/8" wheels, and I feel that 26" roadster & 26" MTB both steer marginally better than 700c in situations where you actually need to turn the bars rather than just lean the bike.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
As long as the wheel is not too 'gaudy' with decals etc then I'd use 700c .

It's only the skinny roadie stuff aimed at weekend warrior Lycra wearers that tends to be plastered with all the tasteless logos & other decals. More budget, no-nonsense stuff aimed at the flat bar hybrid market tend to be plain looking and inoffensive to the eye, plus they also usually have a sensible number of spokes; i.e. 36 - not silly numbers like 20 or 24!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm with the biggs - 27s have a somewhat indefinable ride quality that suits the relaxed geometry of older racers :smile:

Is it really that tiny difference in diameter that makes all the difference, or could it be that 27" wheels were often fitted with 1 1/4" wide tyres which are always going to be a hell of a lot more comfortable than something silly like a 700 x 23mm?
Relaxed geometry frames also seem to react better to road shocks compared to more upright ones. One difference will be that the longer the wheelbase is, the less angle the rider is rotated through every time a tyre rolls over a bump.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It's only the skinny roadie stuff aimed at weekend warrior Lycra wearers that tends to be plastered with all the tasteless logos & other decals. More budget, no-nonsense stuff aimed at the flat bar hybrid market tend to be plain looking and inoffensive to the eye, plus they also usually have a sensible number of spokes; i.e. 36 - not silly numbers like 20 or 24!
The 'norm' with wheels used to be 32 spoke front and 40 spoke rear until they went to 36 at each end.

Top Bottom