700c wheels with few spokes (24h)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MartinC

Über Member
hubgearfreak said:
wrong :smile:

right :rolleyes:

you managed to contradict yourself in one paragraph

Now, now. You know he hasn't. Low spoke count wheels aren't generically weaker than traditional wheels. A 28 spoke version of a 36 spoke wheel (i.e. same rims, same hubs) will be weaker than the 36 spoke version but a factory built low spoke count wheel won't be necessarily.

Factory built wheels have turned out to be quite reliable. A few years ago I was quite sceptical - I've seen what happened to 28 spoke TT wheels in the 80's. But with modern materials, factory quality control, deep rims and straight pull spokes current low spoke count wheels are pretty strong. Even the predicted 'lose a spoke and it'll be too out of true to ride home' doesn't seem to happen.

I'd certainly agree that for touring where you need wheels that you can repair easily with easily available components or make temporary repairs that will last a while then traditional wheels are best.

It's also true that with modern stuff you can make really strong stuff the old fashioned way - expensive and heavy but maybe worthwhile if you're heavy or need extra robust wheels.

If you build your own wheels then you know what you're getting. If you don't then if you buy a branded factory wheel you can safely assume the QC is good. If it's hand built then it's as good as the builder - fine if it's Pete Matthews, Monty or someone else you know but not so good if it's some unknown quantity in the LBS or mail order workshop. Before I started making my own I've had them undo themselves on the road.

Us 'experienced' blokes need to avoid the temptation to be old curmudgeons! I can remember all the objections to indexed gears and people being sure they wouldn't catch on. I think we shouldn't dismiss current low spoke count wheels out of hand.

Young Un

Chrisz said:
Them's the kiddies Young Un :biggrin: I almost regret getting rid now - they're a lovely set of wheels and the modern ones don't look half as good ;)

Tell you what, you can have 'em back if you give me your new ones:tongue:

02GF74

Über Member
hubgearfreak said:
wrong ;)

right ;)

you managed to contradict yourself in one paragraph

no. what I meant to say is a quiality wheel with fewer spokes iwll be stronger than a cheap wheel with more spokes.

for example, I'll bet my Rolf (not wolber - what was I thinking!) wheels are a damn sight stronger than the crap you find on an argos £ 100 bike.

Rolfs have 18/20 spiokes, argos crapo bike would have 32 or even 36.

stan.shire

Oh yes, back in the good ol' days (as people tell me they were) the standard was for a 40 spoke rear and 32 spoke front. Since the front wheel is the one that creates most drag, you can still build a good, fast, strong set of wheels. If you put bladed radial spoke on the front then you can reduce drag further.
I've got a couple of sets of such wheels hanging up in the garage -they don't get ridden a whole lot simply because ther are tubs! (that said I am riding tubular Mavic SSCs to work at the moment :rolleyes:). It is a bit of a pity it's so hard to get hold of 40 or even 28 hole rims and hubs (that don't cost a fortune).

Top Bottom