700x25-28 winter commute tyre recommendation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bully74uk

Regular
Hi
Apologies if this has been posted before but I am after some advice regarding tyres for my winter commute.
I have a Cube SL Cross Pro Hybrid that currently has Schwalbe Kojak slick tyres fitted, 700x28 I think.

I commuted using these tyres last winter in frost, snow etc and although I got through it, it was definitely a struggle at times.

Being a one car family with my other half using the car for work / kids during the day I have no choice but to commute meaning I cycle in all weathers.

With this in mind what tyres would you reccomend to make my commute in the rain, frost, and possibly snow a little easier ?

Ive seen the studded marathon winter tyres but I believe they only go down to a 700x35 and im not sure whether these will fit on my bike / rims ?

Are there any semi slick tyres for example that would be better suited for winter commuting than what im using now ?

My commute is probably 50/50 road and cycle path.

Thanks in advance.

ianjmcd

Über Member

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Bontrager Racelite Hardcase. Been using all year round for two years. One puncture which no tyre would have resisted. A bit nervous in the wet/near freezing temperatures due to the hard compound, but you can get round this by not running at max PSI.

Just replaced my worn out Bonty's with a pair of Vittoria Randonneurs cause I fancied a change. Too early to comment on Rando's performance.

Edit: both brands come up narrower than listed. I ordered 28mm in both - Bonty come out as 27mm whilst Vittoria's 25mm.

Maz

Guru
Ladies and Gents,
I have these tyres which have no tread on them at all (and never did have)- 23mm Specialized Turbo Comps. Is it better to have tyres with tread for winter? Does it make any difference? Thanks
specialized-turbo-comp-tyre.jpg

cloggsy

Boardmanist
I've just put Schwalbe Marathon Plus' on my CX; yes, they're heavy as hell, but pretty bomb proof and should be fine - Can be slippery in extremely cold conditions though, so care required!

Might look at some 700 x 25 Conti 'Gator Skins though...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you are wanting to ride in ice/frost, then Marathon Winters are your best choice. Best option would be spare wheels with these tyres fitted to swap out on bad days.

Your rims should take them, but if running 28's at the minute, you'll need a good 10mm either side and possibly 10 mm above the tyre to give adequate clearance (and still have some left). Being a hybrid you should have room.

fossyant

No tyre, other than studded, gives you any grip on ice. Studded tyres are remarkable, but you still have to take corners with care.

BSRU

A Human Being
Marathon Winters are best for icy conditions but they are 35's so lots of clearance needed.
I am fortunate that I replaced my main commuter bike this year, so my old commuter is fitted with the Winters, so I can just select which bike to use for the given weather conditions.

fossyant

I went the 'alternative bike' route. Just shoved Snow Studs on the MTB as these tyres are a jack of all trades - slow on road, but work well on ice, great in snow, and still work well in sloppy mud. My 'atlernative route' is off road though. If I was riding on road in ice, then it would be the Winters. That said, when it's not icy, the fixed with 23mm tyres is used mostly.

For 28s, Marathon Plus are the best commuting tyre. No one wants to be wasting time freezing beside the road in the dark trying to sort out a puncture, which will be your experience if you fit anything by Continental (anecdata available).

For ice, i switch to Marathon Winters (narrowest available is 35). My partner has Ice Spikers, which are amazing, but a bit overkill for British winters, she says.

BSRU

A Human Being
Marathon Plus are the worst commuting tyre in my opinion, heavy, human energy absorbent, harsh ride, crap in the wet and can still be punctured(rarely).
After 1,000 miles commuting on them I saw the light and put some proper tyres on which save me at least an hour a week.

fossyant

Marathon Plus are the worst commuting tyre in my opinion, heavy, human energy absorbent, harsh ride, crap in the wet and can still be punctured(rarely).
After 1,000 miles commuting on them I saw the light and put some proper tyres on which save me at least an hour a week.

+1

I commute on 23mm, 230g tyres all year. A couple of deflations each year are no big deal and changed in minutes with kevlar beaded tyres, pop off and on. M+ are about a kilo each - that's more than the wheel, and all that weight is on the outside where most rotational forces are. I know my snow studs weigh a tonne, and really wouldn't want to commute on something like that all year !

I don't tend to get left behind on CS7. I know M+ are heavy, but it's not a big deal. I've never found them the least bit harsh, and the grip is fine in the wet, though the Durano is better, I think.

BSRU

A Human Being
I ride GP 4 Seasons and for an experiment I put my Marathon Plus's back on, after three days I had had enough and vowed never to be so stupid again(with Marathon Plus's).

Top Bottom