700x25-28 winter commute tyre recommendation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It all depends about what you want out of a bike. I've got 3 road bikes, one is a fixed for commuting. Riding heavy duty tyres compared to lighter faster tyres makes a big difference - I can certainly tell by 'feel'. I like the instant 'response' you get from light tyres. Heavy ones need spinning up.

For commuting I go for a tyre as near as I can get to the Michelin Pro Race tyres I have on the other two bikes, but cheaper and slightly more robust. I hate any big change in 'feel' and tyres and wheels are about the number one performance enhancement you make to a bike.

As I spend most of my cycling time by commuting, I need to enjoy how the bike rides, so slow tyres are a no no for me. As are poor performing components.

potsy

Rambler
I'd say something like the Durano+ in 25's are a good compromise between weight and puncture resistance, certainly my tyre of choice for all year round commuting.

I really likes my M+ when I had them on the hybrid, so much confidence in them, sure they are a little slower but when you work it out it's only a couple of minutes for the average length commute.

Got my Marathon Winters on standby to go on soon, now they are slow :tongue:

dhd.evans

Veteran
M+ on, two punctures this week (one snake-bite, one ungodly sized nail). That said, punctures are uncommon - this is the first lot in about 4-5 months of 100mile week commutes.

Regards grip, i've come off my bike twice in as many weeks with the M+ on. Once turning a corner with a wet patch of leaves and once turning a corner which was frosty.

I'm sore this week.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Marathon Plus are the worst commuting tyre in my opinion, heavy, human energy absorbent, harsh ride, crap in the wet and can still be punctured(rarely).
After 1,000 miles commuting on them I saw the light and put some proper tyres on which save me at least an hour a week.

That's not my experience with M+'s. While they're heavy, certainly, they don't absorb energy: the difference in speed between my Galaxy with 32mm M+'s and the Van Nic with 25 mm Krylions (another good winter tyre) are down to geometry and lack of panniers, not tyres. Gripwise, I've found the Marathons fine - in fact, when I was running 28 mm Paselas on the back, I found it was the Pasela that lost grip rather than the Marathon. I'm glad I didn't have those tyres the other way round, the outcome would have been very different!

M+ on, two punctures this week (one snake-bite, one ungodly sized nail). That said, punctures are uncommon - this is the first lot in about 4-5 months of 100mile week commutes.

Regards grip, i've come off my bike twice in as many weeks with the M+ on. Once turning a corner with a wet patch of leaves and once turning a corner which was frosty.

I'm sore this week.

With ice, the only meaningful option are studded tyres. You're asking a lot of normal tyres to grip with wet leaves or ice on the road. I hope you feel better soon.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Ladies and Gents,
I have these tyres which have no tread on them at all (and never did have)- 23mm Specialized Turbo Comps. Is it better to have tyres with tread for winter? Does it make any difference? Thanks
specialized-turbo-comp-tyre.jpg
That is a turbo tyre, you probably shouldn't be using that on the road. Mainly because it has no puncture protection and it wont last as long.

With regards to tread, road tyres don't need tread.

Reactions: Maz

BSRU

A Human Being
That's not my experience with M+'s. While they're heavy, certainly, they don't absorb energy: the difference in speed between my Galaxy with 32mm M+'s and the Van Nic with 25 mm Krylions (another good winter tyre) are down to geometry and lack of panniers, not tyres. Gripwise, I've found the Marathons fine - in fact, when I was running 28 mm Paselas on the back, I found it was the Pasela that lost grip rather than the Marathon. I'm glad I didn't have those tyres the other way round, the outcome would have been very different!
Using exactly the same bike(apart from tyres), same conditions, same routes and same rider, and since I keep a log of all my commutes I was able to directly compare tyre performance and hence know they make a noticeable difference. Then of course I can compare how they felt whilst riding, which is terrible when compared to GP 4 Seasons.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The smallest studded tyre is the Nokian A32 that Jezton was organising a group buy for last year. It's 32mm so may be an option if you want to go studded and don't have the space for Marathon winters. I don't think 35mm tyres would be a problem with most hybrid frames but you really need to check. The rims on that bike should be able to take anything that would fit between the frame, running over sized isn't normally a problem - though the steering can get a bit sluggish if they are too big and baloon-like.

I use normal Marathons or Michelin krylion carbon tyres all year round on my bikes unless it's icy/snowy, when I get the big heavy treadded Schwalbe Snow Studs out.

womblechops

I also use Schwalbe Marathon 700 X 25C having had them on my tourer for years without a puncture. I recently put them on the singlspeed for winter riding after I had one puncture and one complete wear out in a fortnight. They were an absolute pig to get on the rims though as they are so chunky.

I hadn't thought much about it, but they are definitely slower and a bit heavier. I am obviously a sucker for peer pressure and reading this thread makes me want to replace them with something lighter and faster but I think that to get my money's worth I will run them for a few more weeks and put new tyres in my letter to Father Christmas. I have been good, honest.

How about these spiked tyres as a budget option, never seen them this cheap before
http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1041/a84965/winter-120-spikes-28-x-135-wire.html

£43 a pair delivered

29390.jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I ride GP 4 Seasons and for an experiment I put my Marathon Plus's back on, after three days I had had enough and vowed never to be so stupid again(with Marathon Plus's).
I changed to Continental GP 4 Seasons too and I like them. I get the odd puncture (unlike when using M+) but the ride is worth that sacrifice.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
That is a turbo tyre, you probably shouldn't be using that on the road. Mainly because it has no puncture protection and it wont last as long.

With regards to tread, road tyres don't need tread.
I was going to say that, but didn't want to look a prat :laugh:

Reactions: gaz

Tynan

Veteran
ooo a tyre thread

conti super sports plus for me, very durable and seem quick enough etc for me

I don't ride if I expect ice, one tiny patch is enough to have you on the floor and under a car, in London at least a few days off over crimbo/new year makes a nice change of pace

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
For 28s, Marathon Plus are the best commuting tyre. No one wants to be wasting time freezing beside the road in the dark trying to sort out a puncture, which will be your experience if you fit anything by Continental (anecdata available).

For ice, i switch to Marathon Winters (narrowest available is 35). My partner has Ice Spikers, which are amazing, but a bit overkill for British winters, she says.
Not mine. Gatorskin Hardshells are a splendid all year round tyre. Except on ice when I break out the nokian jobbies with studs which live on my other spare wheels.

Top Bottom