70's Dawes Chevron but not as I expected

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
Evening Folks,

Couple of evening's ago I went to collect a little gem I found on ebay listed as "Dawes Racingcycle" (nothing more, nothing less). Listed as a barn find and "more pictures to come soon" but they never materialised after the 6th or 7th time listed. I thought it was worth a punt as the listing photos made it look fairly complete and got a bit of a surprise when I turned up to a near perfect original bike!

This Lovely little Dawes Chevron is almost catalog perfect down to specs (minus the mud guards) and seems to have also been fitted with an upgraded "Galaxy spec" Simplex 10speed setup over the 5/10 huret standard spec. chuffed with what I had I photographed it and then suddenly it occurred to me it's not quite like the Dawes Chevron's Id seen on the internet or in catalogs. This one however has no lugs (apart from the forks) and welded joins. Also for a basic spec "entry level" racer it's considerably light compared to what I'd expect from a "gas pipe" steel racer.

Does anyone know why I've not got any lugs on my Chevron. Could this be it was a "concept" or made to order type bike with paying extra to make it more aerodynamic...? (just brainstorming aloud really!)

Serial number is E2844 on rear dropout if that helps at all?

Attachments

• chevron rear.jpg
    chevron rear.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 318
  • Chevy full.jpg
    Chevy full.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 285
  • little details.jpg
    little details.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 251
  • Two 70s cycles.jpg
    Two 70s cycles.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 215

midlife

Guru
Didn't Dawes do some brazed frames which had sort of removable head tube lugs held in place by the headset?

Trying to remember as its quite a few years ago lol

Shaun

OP
OP
The_Cycling_Scientist

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
Didn't Dawes do some brazed frames which had sort of removable head tube lugs held in place by the headset?

Trying to remember as its quite a few years ago lol

Shaun
Would love to know more about these detachable lugs. definitely brazed frame. I wonder if it was customer specific and made to order?

Top Bottom