75 mile Reliability ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I am doing my first Audax that weekend.Out of interest what exactly is a reliability ride?

OP
OP
Toeclip

Toeclip

Guru
A reliability ride is a bit like an Audax really, as you have to complete a course passing through a designated control points within a time, which for the 75 event will be either 7hrs, 6hrs or 5hrs. This ride is a great favourite of the racing brigade as they use it as a training ride to test out their fitness, while guys like me struggle to get around the route in 7hrs, not ridden this event for some years and not doing it this year either.
Lake Meadows cafe is a great favourite with all Essex cyclists.

Thinking about this too as i am fairly familiar with the roads out that way as an Ex Essex Roads member.....
75miles justt about right to help loose some more of the Expanded Xmas Waistline.

OP
OP
Toeclip

Toeclip

Guru
I`m sure there will be some Essex Road riders at the 75, as this is a very large club these days. Purfleet that not too many miles from me in S.Ockendon

Tynan

Veteran
Mr Tynan is now posting in our entries tonight

Tynan

Veteran
just us then ...

the wife has spashed on a brand new and rather nice Ladies Evo jacket, weather forecast slowly improving, looks like very very light showers at worse, cold enough for the altura jackets, a bit windy, hopefuly no more than that, I found the last two home rides hard work

I've ordered an Etrex H with the sundry cables and hanblebar mount, so four necessary parcels ordered on free or cheapest delivery on Wed, all dispatched yesterday and one already waiting at the depot, will it all arrive in time?

I have an SRAM chain box from the LBS, delvered to my house for free if you don't mind ready to go for the route sheets and the route map printed out on A3 in case

We're both very much looking forward to it although it's going to be a rather early start, we're down for the 8.30 start, this time I most definitely will not forget my shoes and not remember until we're halfway there meaning we're the last ones to set off, and the wife after three months of weekend rides with the local club and six weeks of midweek turbo training and mounted on a nearly new Trek 1.2 will not be crawling up the mildest of inclines at 3mph

oh no, there's breezy talk of pub stops this time, that's how recklessly confident we are this time around

Tynan

Veteran
last cable arrived today, a bloody hour spent before deciphering how to connect the bloody Etrex H and a fair bit of faffing before I think I know how to toggle it to show me what I want, I know how far it is to the start anyway

Doubtless more furrowed brows await at the start early tomorrow

rear wheel straightened and the lady wife's stem changed to a 75mm from the stock 90mm

have to do the fiddling to get the route sheets to fit into the diy plastic holder

OP
OP
Toeclip

Toeclip

Guru
Good luck for tomorrow and enjoy your ride. I only wish I was fit enough to cycle those miles, I have done this ride in the past went for 7hrs and got back in six and half hours.

Tynan

Veteran
thank-you, a last minute panic regarding not havng the right back on the shiny new Etrex to fit the mount is averted, Maplin had a single one in the whole of London, phew

Wheel back on, chain cleaned (a bit) and gears indexed (a bit), bottles in the washer, peanuts and sweets and some cereal bars (for the wife) strewn around the house in easy to forget places, kit washed, 7.30 etd here tomorrow morning

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Good luck with the ride.

One thing I think I forgot to mention in my PMs about how to use the GPS was that if you decide to use the breadcrumb trail to navigate rather than the arrow (which is what I recommend) - make sure you select a sensible scale factor for the screen.

I usually leave mine set at the 80 m setting. It gives you plenty of detail. If you set it to a bigger scale then you can see what will be coming further ahead, but it makes it harder to judge where the turns are.

Tynan

Veteran
you did mention it

shakedown for the etrex, have the sram case in place

assos cream is on, bikesgoin ginto car, Tynan out!

thanks

Top Bottom