77 Carlton Corsa restore and freewheel probs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FR7

hi everyone i am trying to restore my carlton corsa,how do i go about up grading from a 5 speed freewheel to a 6 or 7 speed, my bike is only a 5speed modle, i would like to still use the original huret rear mech,can it be done,
i do have a back up if all else fails i can use the atom 5 speed freewheel from a 76 carlton continental i have lying about.

PpPete

Legendary Member
A lot is going to depend on the rear drop out width. You may need to cold-set it to take the wider freewheel. Are the gears indexed? If so than you'll likely lose that and have to stick with friction.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
A 6-speed block will fit, Ive done this on my Continental. 7-speed may be pushing it. Indexing won't work unless you can get the appropriate levers, but then this is a retro ride so Id forget it anyway. As you say use the old Atom form the 76 Continental if all else fails. look forward to seeing some images.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
As mentioned above, there are two varieties of 6-speed block: narrow and standard. Standard is the same width as 7; narrow fits where a 5-speed would. I have no idea of the current availability of these, but Ebay might be worth a punt.

brockers

Bit late to this, but I'm putting gears back on my old fixie frame and using components from an old Raleigh 501 that I found 'lying around'. Mine's spaced at 126mm and the wheel from the Raleigh (Maillard hubs and Weinmann alloy rims - quite decent all in all) has a Maillard 5 speed block which I'm going to replace with a new 7 speed. Hilary Stone is the place to look. And nice to know that freewheels aren't expensive either.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
"This post is useless without photos."

EYE-TYE-MAD

hi everyone i am trying to restore my carlton corsa,how do i go about up grading from a 5 speed freewheel to a 6 or 7 speed, my bike is only a 5speed modle, i would like to still use the original huret rear mech,can it be done,
i do have a back up if all else fails i can use the atom 5 speed freewheel from a 76 carlton continental i have lying about.
Carlton did actually put out some models mid 60s, with 6 speed blocks, so a six shouldn't be a problem. Anything over that needs frame mods i.e. seat & chain stay bridge replacements. To be honest, I'd leave well alone, any messing, however well intentioned is bound to deminish the frames originality. Take it for what it is & as a marker for how far bikes have come.

Top Bottom