8 Freight

Discussion in 'Tandem and Other Bikes' started by Hilldodger, 30 Apr 2010.

1. Hilldodger

Hilldodger Über Member

We've just been given one and I've ridden it back across town.

It was like trying to steer a battleship up the High Street - god the handling is bad. Me thinks it will have the head angle cut and rewelded.

2. BigSteev

BigSteev Senior Member

Nonsense, it's a fine machine. You'll appreciate the steep head angle once it's loaded up.
    If you want to get anything welded on it I'd recommend some strengthening gussets where the (what would be) seat stays meet the top of the load area.

3. bikepete

bikepete Veteran

That's odd, the ones I've ridden have been fine - maybe a few mins to get used to it. Couriers in York seem to like the handling. Has it had non-standard forks added or something?

4. OP
    OP
    Hilldodger

Hilldodger Über Member

Maybe it's because I don't like nervous steering and do like a more relaxed head angle. I don't like small wheeled folders for the same reason.

Anyway, I haven't got to ride it.

5. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Yup, I've ridden one fine too, in fact I was impressed at how 'normal' it felt.

6. OP
    OP
    Hilldodger

Hilldodger Über Member

Maybe ours is one of the many that have broken and been bodged up - I haven't looked.

I do think it could be improved massively by having more rake and trail, though.

7. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Rake, I would imagine you could pick up at any garden centre....

Not sure about trail. There is trail mix, that nuts and raisins stuff....

:rofl:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice