8 Speed Compatible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
PJ79LIZARD said:
my mavic's needed a spacer to work with my 8 speed cassette. The cassette moved without it in. Just try it when you've got them. If there is play just get a spacer. There easy enough to get hold of from your lbs.

jpembroke said:
Ah, Mavic wheels are a bit odd. My Aksiums require a spacers for 8/9 speed cassettes. A friend ordered some for his 9 speed set up and discarded the spacer with the rubbish. He ended up taking the bin apart to find it. No idea why Mavics have those spacers when no other brands do.

TheDoctor said:
IIRC Mavic do a cassette that's Campag compatable, but fits on thier wheels, and it's a little wider. Shimano cassette needs the spacer, other one doesn't.

TheDoctor has it.

Mavic wheels (Ksyriums, Aksiums, Cosmics) with the FTSL hub do not have a Shimano hub, they have a Mavic hub.
Leaving the Campag-fit CD10 hub out of it, the Shimano- & SRAM-fit Mavic M10 FTSL hub is a Mavic hub with Shimano/SRAM splines.
Mavic make a Campag-spaced but Shimano-splined cassette which fits on it, so that people can run this wheel on their Campag bikes.
This is wider than a Shimano or SRAM cassette, so to fit one of them to it you need to fit the Mavic spacer (about 3.5mm, comes with the wheels) on the hub before sliding the cassette on.
Shimano 10sp cassettes are narrower (and are cut-out at the back) than 8sp & 9sp cassettes, so to fit one of them on it you need the Mavic spacer plus the Shimano 10sp spacer (about 1.something mm) as well.
SRAM 10sp cassettes seem to work with just the Mavic spacer.

Top Bottom