8 Speed Compatible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bottombracket

Sam,
Just rang my friendly cycle-mechanic to double check for you...
He reckons you'll fit a little spacer (very cheap) inboard on the freehub.

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

bottombracket said:
Sam,
Just rang my friendly cycle-mechanic to double check for you...
He reckons you'll fit a little spacer (very cheap) inboard on the freehub.

Thankyou for checking for me! :ohmy:

I'll let you know how the setup works out.

jpembroke

As Andrew_s says, the friendly cycle mechanic is wrong. You don't need a spacer for an 8 speed cassette as they are the same width as 9 and 10 speed. You would only need a spacer for 7 speed cassettes. Oh, and I'm running 8 speed on planet x wheels by the way.

bottombracket

jpembroke said:
As Andrew_s says, the friendly cycle mechanic is wrong.

He is a young lad but at least he's friendly! :biggrin:
Sorry for the bum-steer - Get those new wheels bought!

Thanks andrew & j - I remember now, using one of those spacers on an old tourer - must have been 7spd on a 8spd (?) hub.

Why oh why did we ever decide we needed more than 3? :sad: :biggrin:

(I just know someones gonna turn up and say 3 is too many! Hi Martin :biggrin:)

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
andy_wrx said:
If it'll run 9sp, it'll run 8sp fine too.

You'd need a spacer to run 7sp on it, but also to run 10sp (as, surprisingly, a 10sp cassette is narrower than 8sp or 9sp)

+1 if a wheel says 9 speed on it it will run an 8 speed cassette

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
my mavic's needed a spacer to work with my 8 speed cassette. The cassette moved without it in. Just try it when you've got them. If there is play just get a spacer. There easy enough to get hold of from your lbs.

jpembroke

Ah, Mavic wheels are a bit odd. My Aksiums require a spacers for 8/9 speed cassettes. A friend ordered some for his 9 speed set up and discarded the spacer with the rubbish. He ended up taking the bin apart to find it. No idea why Mavics have those spacers when no other brands do.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
IIRC Mavic do a cassette that's Campag compatable, but fits on thier wheels, and it's a little wider. Shimano cassette needs the spacer, other one doesn't.

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

Okay I got the wheels today, they look lovely, nice and light, shiny, bladed spokes, radially spoked front, I love them!

I dropped about .6lbs off my bike, but I think it was more, since weighing my bike with the bathroom scales gets varying results.

I haven't got the cassette swapped over yet, I will have to ask 'the bloke `round the corner' if he can do it for me. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

PJ79LIZARD said:
glad your pleased, there's nothing like riding on a brand new set of wheels, bet you can't wait to try them out.

You Bet! ;) My first ride will be the 1.5 miles to school, but I think my 5kg+ backpack probably negates the effect of lightweight wheels ;)

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

8 Speed Cassette fitted perfectly, no spacers needed, just slotted on and tightened with a lock ring tool.

The front hub is SILENT. I even put my ear to the saddle to try and hear the bearing noise, there was nothing. Ultra smooth, can't wait to get out on it!

Top Bottom