8-speed Giant Entour E+ 2 2020 gear jumping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Marais

OK here is the whole SHLABANG in images. Still, rarely in gear 8 it "pops".
I'll send multiple photos just to be sure you guys have all you need.

Many, many thanks!

So if you look above there are all the images. I still have the same problem. Rarely now as two bike shops have worked on the bike. But in gear "8" it sometimes "misses a loop".

Any ideas (look at pictures above)? Ajax Bay? Spiderweb?

Thanks in advance!

C R

Guru
Can you clarify what you mean by "misses a loop"? Do you mean that the chain jumps out of the sprocket as if it wants to go to another sprocket?

Ajax Bay

Guru
The symptoms described in the OP are typical of a new chain on an old(er) cassette, or an old chain on an old cassette which has reached 'end of life'. Given both are new, this is not the cause. And on 'normal' bikes this occurs first on the most used sprocket (eg 16t) in the middle of a cassette, not on the smallest sprocket (as here). Normally peak power (and therefore most likely slip) is not in the smallest sprocket (but on an e-bike, maybe this isn't true).
The OP might be spending a disproportionate amount of time in their smallest sprocket given the extra watts on tap. If that's the case (in flattish terrain perhaps) they might consider a larger chainring.
Cause of slipping in 'top' gear: 'fraid no further idea. OP might try asking this in the e-bike sub-forum as there will be knowledgeable chatters on there who don't come here.

OP
OP
M

Marais

Can you clarify what you mean by "misses a loop"? Do you mean that the chain jumps out of the sprocket as if it wants to go to another sprocket?

No, it just slips. It seems it jumps maybe one chain link? I repeat the chain, the cassette and the chain ring have been replaced recently. By two different bike shops.

OP
OP
M

Marais

The symptoms described in the OP are typical of a new chain on an old(er) cassette, or an old chain on an old cassette which has reached 'end of life'. Given both are new, this is not the cause. And on 'normal' bikes this occurs first on the most used sprocket (eg 16t) in the middle of a cassette, not on the smallest sprocket (as here). Normally peak power (and therefore most likely slip) is not in the smallest sprocket (but on an e-bike, maybe this isn't true).
The OP might be spending a disproportionate amount of time in their smallest sprocket given the extra watts on tap. If that's the case (in flattish terrain perhaps) they might consider a larger chainring.
Cause of slipping in 'top' gear: 'fraid no further idea. OP might try asking this in the e-bike sub-forum as there will be knowledgeable chatters on there who don't come here.

Maybe that is part of it? Although I use minimal assist in the 8th gear (generally I use the electrical assist ONLY for steep hills). So maybe the pedal assist is pushing the chain too quickly through the gear? I'm going to experiment and try in the 8th gear turning off all pedal assist.

Top Bottom