8 Speed rear derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DODDY

Hi,

I have an 8 speed Sora based road bike and the rear derailleur is showing signs of age and wear. I am looking at replacing with a Shimano 105 piece........But wich one should I go for. Are there any one I should look for over others.

I believe the existing Sora is a short cage!

Cheers!

adscrim

Veteran
You need to check compatibility. Although the indexing is in the shifter and not the rear mech, I think shimano say that the 8 speed sora shifters are not compatible with the mech from the 10 speed 105 goupo. However, the mech from the 9 speed tiagra groupo should be fine.

Any Shimano mech will work (apart from prehistoric stuff pre-mid90's), so you could run a 10sp, 9sp or 8sp fine.

However, you won't actually notice a huge improvement even if you spend a fortune on the Dura Ace mech.

I'd limit myself to either a Sora 8sp or 9sp (model 3300 or 3400), or Tiagra 9sp (4400 or 4500), or I think Chain Reaction were selling-off some old-stock 9sp 105's (5500) pretty cheaply.

OP
OP
D

DODDY

O.K. Thanks for the replies. So what is the differences between 105, Sora etc.
What makes one better than the other???:smile:.

I have a sora front mech and a spare Tiagra front mech......I can't se any differences in the castings, the screws etc. So what makes one better than the other?????:ohmy:

As you go up the hierarchy Sora -> Tiagra -> 105 -> Ultegra -> Dura Ace the materials get more exotic (e.g. plastic & steel -> alu -> titanium), the weights come down and the prices go up.

Technologies trickle-down over time - Dura Ace was 10sp some time ago, then Ultegra went 10sp a bit later, 105 went 10sp a few years later than that, Tiagra is still 9sp and Sora just went up from 8sp to 9sp two years ago.

As to whether it's worth it ? No, in absolute terms - if you can buy a Sora mech for £15 and Tiagra for £20 and 105 for £35 then it's not 2-and-a-bit times better : but people are willing to pay it.

If a Focus costs (for argument's sake) twice as much as a Fiesta, is it 'twice as good' a car ? Both get you from A->B

If you have Sora 8sp on your bike and you changed the mech to 105, you won't see too much change or improvement
- it's a bit like you have that Fiesta and the steering wheel needs replacing : you could replace it with another Fiesta steering wheel (Sora), or one from a Focus (Tiagra) or from a Mondeo (105) or Focus Cosworth WRC (Dura Ace) : upgrade the wheel if you want but you'd still have a Fiesta, just with a posher, more expensive steering wheel on it.

On the other hand if you had the Focus Cosworth, you would notice a difference if you put a bog-standard Fiesta wheel on it as it wouldn't be up to the standard of the rest of the car

Top Bottom