8 speed Shimano Alfine hub gear problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I am have problems with 8 speed Shimano Alfine hub gears. I've recently changed both the inner and outer cable but no matter how carefully I adjust it the gears still slip. Typically it slips from 7th into 6th under load. I don't know what more I can do. Does any know some in central south England that either sort it or condemn it!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had an Alfine 11 that gave problems.

I returned the complete wheel to Madison/Shimano via my local bike shop - lots of shops have accounts with Madison because lots of shops sell Shimano stuff.

My hub was changed - outside of warranty - but lots of Alfine 11s conked out so I think a decision was taken to replace them without making much of a fuss about it.

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Thanks Cycleops for the videos. I will have (yet) another go at reinstalling the cable attachment to the hub. It quoted the distance of 101mm of bare inner cable to the lug, that's new information. I will also check the chain alinement because I remounted the front chainring to fit a Herbie Chainglider. However I don't hold much hope of having slip free gears.

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Thanks mjr. I feel a day trip to Oxford might be called for! I moved the lug but I could get enough tension to get it in top gear. Returned it to about 93mm length. There are two ways the gear cable access the 8 speed Alfine Shimano hub, one way is via the top and the other like mine it comes underneath. So with no tension I am in 1st. So if it slips from gear n to n-1 then I haven't enough tension? I then give the handlebar adjuster about quarter of a turn, it seems to sort it for a while. On a more positive note I successfully replace the pads on my Hayes mechanical disc brakes.

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
Have you ever had it serviced and done the oil soak on it?

Most hub gear problems in my experience are because they get gunged up, especially true of the grease lubricated types like Shimano.

It isn't especially difficult to do the oil Bath soak. Use ATF oil rather than the over-priced oil Shimano sell, pay attention to the axle with all the little parts which pop up to select the gears. They may be sticking if the grease has thickened up or got water contamination.

alicat

Legendary Member
Are you sure the cable route is correct? I seem to recall I had to redo mine on my Shimano Nexus N7 to get the gears to change properly.

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I am still having problems with my 8 speed Shimano Alfine hub gears. Typically I only ride some 2 miles however that does involve a steep gradient on which I have to use all the gears. But I don't feel that I should have to make small adjustments every other trip to stop the gears slipping.

From what I have read on the interweb it appears the general consensus is a lot of problems with changing gears on Shimano hub gears are caused by cable problems. So I changed it. However something is still wrong. In the picture which I have purloined from Sheldon Brown it state the distance of bare inner cable should be 101mm as shown in Number 6 below. Mine is less than 90mm. Something somewhere is not right. I am sure that I have rooted it correct using the guide as shown in Number 9.

09.jpg

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Screenshot_20181221-181037.png
The cable length, when not installed, needs to be 145mm. When installed and moved to gear 4 it needs to be 101mm. Even if your gear shifter is in gear 4, when cable is not installed, the cassette joint moves back to gear 1.

I think you're starting out with 101mm which becomes 90mm in gear 4.

Edit: this picture may help better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
So survived a trip to the in-laws and got my bike to Bournemouth Cycle Works yesterday. They found play in the back wheel, due to lose cones! They replaced the three broken spokes, replaced the chain and trued the back wheel. I am now much poorer but am the owner of a bike that doesn't squeak! I feel one of my new years resolution is going to be to learn to rebuild a bike wheel. I've brought Roger Musson's Professional Guide To Wheel Building. So I just need to build a wheel stand and get going.

Top Bottom