8 Year Old's Maths Question

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Grandson has the following question

Q. What is the value of the underlined number
A. We think 800

But with no reference or examples are we leading him incorrect?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yes that’d be right, in the context shown, for an 8 year old. What did he think as he’s meant to answer it not you? Being told the answer means he won’t necessarily learn why and how to work it out himself.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Yes that’d be right, in the context shown, for an 8 year old. What did he think as he’s meant to answer it not you? Being told the answer means he won’t necessarily learn why and how to work it out himself.
He didn't know as he didn't understand the question, neither did his mother, hence why I was asked, once we worked out what we thought which he understood, there was 9 others for him to workout. No idea if he's done them yet as I wanted to ensure we had interrupted the question correctly.

Unfortunately we are getting ZERO support from the school, the other school in the village is actively sending out worksheets & homework, suggested websites, suggested programs etc, his school are not even responding to emails.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
He didn't know as he didn't understand the question, neither did his mother, hence why I was asked, once we worked out what we thought which he understood, there was 9 others for him to workout. No idea if he's done them yet as I wanted to ensure we had interrupted the question correctly.

Unfortunately we are getting ZERO support from the school, the other school in the village is actively sending out worksheets & homework, suggested websites, suggested programs etc, his school are not even responding to emails.
There should be a comma after the thousand though!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
8 as only number underlined.

Detention for you ! :reading:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

You are correct.

Place value explained for parents here:

https://www.theschoolrun.com/what-place-value
Again Thank you, but that link has also highlighted another question, I remember, Thousands, Hundreds, Tens, Units, our Grandson has been taught Thousands, Hundreds, Tens, Ones,

I know it's a very minor thing, but we are trying to stay as consistent with his existing teaching that we can

Edit:- Thank you for the website, I've forwarded it to my daughter, she may or may not know about it already.

Again Thank you, but that link has also highlighted another question, I remember, Thousands, Hundreds, Tens, Units, our Grandson has been taught Thousands, Hundreds, Tens, Ones,

I know it's a very minor thing, but we are trying to stay as consistent with his existing teaching that we can

Edit:- Thank you for the website, I've forwarded it to my daughter, she may or may not know about it already.

Units are m/s or mph.
Ones makes more sense
You have 6 ones and 4 tens and 8 hundreds etc.

Top Bottom