8 Year Old's Maths Question

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Units are m/s or mph.
Ones makes more sense
You have 6 ones and 4 tens and 8 hundreds etc.
To you maybe :laugh::laugh:

No in all seriousness I was always taught units, but I was last at school in 1976, however my daughter born 1985 was also taught units, so this is a new(ish) change. I don't have problems with it, I just want to use whatever he is currently being taught to avoid confusion, it is easier for me to change than him. Much the same as multiply, times by, subtract, take aways, divide by, share by etc. Although cutting the pizza up for fractions threw me for a minute.

Reactions: C R

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
They're all using columns of Thousands, Hundreds, Tens and Ones. You soon get used to it if you sit alongside as they go through the BBC Bitesize lessons, or the White Rose Maths daily lessons. (Except the latter's narrator says "wuns" which even an 8 year old finds ridiculous).

Don't worry if the school aren't providing a lot of support, many of them are still busy teaching and could be really busy. You can't go wrong with the BBC Bitesize daily lessons, it's aligned with the national curriculum for each year.

If you get the odd bit wrong don't worry, you're doing a super job just by doing something substantial to keep them engaged and fairly up to date, nobody expects you to be a flawless teacher.

Last edited:
To you maybe :laugh::laugh:

No in all seriousness I was always taught units, but I was last at school in 1976, however my daughter born 1985 was also taught units, so this is a new(ish) change. I don't have problems with it, I just want to use whatever he is currently being taught to avoid confusion, it is easier for me to change than him. Much the same as multiply, times by, subtract, take aways, divide by, share by etc. Although cutting the pizza up for fractions threw me for a minute.

Just because you were taught it doesn'tmean its right ^_^.
Tbh, its just tidying up the ideas, hardly a major thing.

Also, cutting up bread/pizzas is a good example for Egyptian fractions.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Detention for you ! :reading:
Don't expect me to turn up as In isolation and mum will right a letter saying that .

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It can be quite tricky supporting your offspring in their studies. My 17yr old is doing A level maths and asked me for help last week. He was doing (I think I have this right?) polynomial division of improper quadratic fractions :eek:
He had a youtube guide video, a copy of one of his classmates attempt at the question (with workings) and this had been checked by the teacher and apparently correct.
Try as we might, we just couldn't get the same answer and couldn't follow the workings as it just didn't follow the system set out in the youtube vid. We searched for other support sources but still couldn't get the 'right' answer.
In the end I had to admit defeat and I couldn't go any further with it. If I was wrong I didn't know why and if they were right I couldn't see how? My final advice was to seek further help from his teacher as we had explored every other avenue available to us.
I was massively pleased when he came to me later in the day and informed me I had been right and the teacher/classmate had got it wrong :angel:

It can be quite tricky supporting your offspring in their studies. My 17yr old is doing A level maths and asked me for help last week. He was doing (I think I have this right?) polynomial division of improper quadratic fractions :eek:
He had a youtube guide video, a copy of one of his classmates attempt at the question (with workings) and this had been checked by the teacher and apparently correct.
Try as we might, we just couldn't get the same answer and couldn't follow the workings as it just didn't follow the system set out in the youtube vid. We searched for other support sources but still couldn't get the 'right' answer.
In the end I had to admit defeat and I couldn't go any further with it. If I was wrong I didn't know why and if they were right I couldn't see how? My final advice was to seek further help from his teacher as we had explored every other avenue available to us.
I was massively pleased when he came to me later in the day and informed me I had been right and the teacher/classmate had got it wrong :angel:

There is a decent help site at
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Don't worry if the school aren't providing a lot of support, many of them are still busy teaching and could be really busy. You can't go wrong with the BBC Bitesize daily lessons, it's aligned with the national curriculum for each year.
Just asked the daughter if he is doing these & was told she knows nothing about them, they haven't been mentioned by the school. Just did a quick Google & forwarded her the link Thank you.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Don't use a comma.
:ohmy:

In some countries a comma is used instead of a point which causes endless confusion. Use of a space is acceptable.
Are you seriously proposing that we modify our correct behaviour to accommodate a rabble of benighted savages?

Then again, you probably shouldn't generally put a coma in a four digit number. It's unnecessary, therefore clutter. Commas, like any other mark, should be used only when they serve a purpose. In big numbers like 100,000 - the hairs on a human head*, or 50,000,000 - the number of kangaroos - they aid instant meaning. 50000000 is harder to grasp at a glance. "Use of a space is acceptable." You quite sure about that old chap?

1 846

in preference to

?

🤨

Or is that not what you meant?

* Some human heads. <sigh>

Top Bottom